#35 Matt Guelfi - now til 2024!

Guelfi’s dream debut
Conor Walsh April 16, 2018 12:17 PM

While inevitably there would be nerves for Matt Guelfi as he entered his debut on Sunday, there was never any doubt from the Guelfi family that he was ready for AFL football.

Coming off two years playing senior football in the WAFL, the 20-year-old said his experience put him in good stead for an impressive debut.

“I was a bit nervous to start, but once I was out there and the game got rolling it was really exciting and I felt comfortable out there,” Guelfi said after Essendon’s strong 22-point victory over Port Adelaide.

“I think senior footy has really helped me feel a bit more comfortable with the bigger bodies.

“It’s a little bit quicker, but it’s not too much different to WAFL.”

Despite being on the ground for just 74% of the game, the West Australian had the equal most inside-50s of the match (six) and was equal second for contested possessions (nine) from the Bombers.

Guelfi – who also gathered 17 disposals – described his debut as a “dream come true” and said it was special having his family on hand for the match.

“My whole family is really proud of me, they know how hard I’ve worked to get here, it’s taken a bit longer but I’m here now and it’s awesome.

“It’s a bit of travel, but if it was anywhere in the world they would come.”

Guelfi’s father admitted to suffering pre-game nerves, but said he had confidence that Matt could comfortably slot into the side.

“(I’m) so proud of him, we all are, he’s worked really hard and I think he’s ready,” Steven Guelfi said after his son’s jumper presentation before the match.

“He’s very professional and I’ve watched him since he was four.”

With tears in his eyes he described the special phone call he’d received on Thursday as he found out the exciting news.

“When he rang me after training I could hear he was really emotional in his voice and I could hardly talk, so we didn’t say that much.

“Then we texted each other then I rang him back, so it was very emotional.”

Guelfi is now right in line to play in Essendon’s blockbuster Anzac Day clash against traditional rival Collingwood next week.

More By Conor Walsh

7 Likes

First name: Matteo

Post reported for not being Italian enough.

2 Likes

Pippo!

2 Likes

Amazing first game. Comapres with Mc Graths first game. Heaps of 2nd and 3rd efforts. tackles, assists. Was everywhere. The Iceman.

24-25 year old who seems to employ a two handed ball drop.

@anon71769209 does he always kick like that?

From the clip, his tackle which led to the Stringer goal - impressive how he got up from the tackle and then ran hard to follow up down the ground to shepherd for the goal. It’s those efforts that make a big difference to overall team commitment and pressure. Not stopping until the play is finished. Stinger may have gotten a bad bounce of the ball and needed a teammate to handball to etc. He continued running, for those just in case cases. I like that sort of stuff.

17 Likes

imagehttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/yE0Kf8XVhfVTU3Drj2ahb_CAs3u3yOItrPF6gxAdhVOX1Von1xZQbmu34-PK_0SCp62GSvKD5HXjhfX1D1OSVa8kTqMOF6W-cg2eS5nnHbBIMnQlYIWHvE8a3G0n5zmJXUcQLcn29sBBfS9NtE9-xxnaPwt-HcZmGhRZt4WEOc0XbP6CRLsYcqMLSQ=w443-h332-nc

1 Like

Chorus of young people saying who the faaark is Bjork?

1 Like

He’s only 20!

1 Like

A Guelfi is to Old as A Crameri is to Tall. Ergo Guelfi Plays Old.

2 Likes

Can really hoof the ball too. That Walla goal was after a Guelfi kick from the wing that carried to 30m out from goal.

1 Like

My take he slotted in quite well, didnt really notice him as a ‘Debutant’, he seemed up to speed with AFL level.
But he wasn’t standing out as one of the best on, just a Blue collar effort. Which some might say our side needs more of.

3 Likes

Talking bout Schloithe, if you follow the reply chain back.
Guelfi looks a pretty organised kick. Body shape looks more Stanton than Watson, but that could be a good thing.

“Playing the kids” seems to be working.

We have a fair few decently talented kids coming through, introducing them creates energy and enthusiasm that lifts the team. They are hungry for success.

I’d like to think that by the end of the year we have put a few games into a number of them that demand selection. Its a good way to work out who will survive the end of year cull.

Redman, Mutch, bZerk, Clarke, Ridley, Draper maybe Mynott…these are likely players.

And LAV, Langford and Francis.

2 Likes

SIcilian here

1 Like

Did you write this comment on the toilet cause it ■■■■■■■ stinks.

Weeeeee Oowwwwww!!

2 Likes

He also had the most ground ball gets for the game also.

Best debut since Begley.