#35 Matt Guelfi - now til 2024!

I believe it was a (legal) Addiction issue.

Time out of the game can be very tough mentally.

2 Likes

Kick, kick flip

Skateboarding is a debilitating addiction.

1 Like

Heat in the feet.

I loved Kommer. A fit Kommer would be best 22 right now. He is exactly the type of player that would thrive in the current style of forward pressure.

Loved him, tough, nasty, aggressive, kicked goals

2 Likes

Ok cool.

Looked like 2nd cousin to Grug and It for a while.

Tell me about it. My knees are farked. Itā€™s pretty weird but around the time there was all that talk about knee tendonitis with Kommer I actually had knee tendonitis from skating too much which took about 18 months to recover from. Itā€™s hard for me to believe because Iā€™m about 30 years older than him and never had injuries when young but there are some rather interesting parallels.

1 Like

Kommer could run and chase and look excited just like my next door neighbours dog, but couldnā€™t impact the scoreboard and was limited.

He needed a good couple of seasons to really develop and provide a meaningful contribution. The injury sadly stopped us from seeing what he couldā€™ve been.

2 Likes

I think youā€™re romanticising that a bit. Kicked more than 1 goal once in a game (2). For a career tally of 11. Thereā€™s no denying his harassing ability though.

1 Like

In another thread it says heā€™s ineligible as he is 21 and misses the cutoff by a couple of weeks

romanticising is kindā€¦

3 Likes

I kind of tip toed around it. You donā€™t want to just slap someone with cold truths about a love theyā€™ve lost.

1 Like

Au contraireā€¦ it is those that are in the most needs of cold truth bombs. revisionist history is the worst kind. Bit like when somebody suggests Patty Ambrose is good for getting downfield and kicking a goalā€¦ Some things a miles from reality.

1 Like

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_rising_stars_round_performances?sby=14&year=2018&round=17

To be eligible to be nominated for the award, a player must be younger than 21 years of age on 1 January of the award year and have played 10 or fewer senior games before the beginning of the season.

Heā€™s eligible.

Yep, people jump up and down like itā€™s the first time weā€™ve drafted someone over the age of 18.
Itā€™s not.

Brandon (Brendon? Brundyn? something was weird with the spelling) Lee, Muscles Marigliani, Van Unen, Hartley to name a few.

I think our history says maybe 1 in 3 is actually good and plays 100 games -Josh jenkins, Howlett, Tippa, Crameri, Hibberd, Bags, Ambrose, Lovett.
Nothing to sneeze at.

Another 1 in 3 are OK and will maybe be a role player for a few years, maybe get to 50 games: Jarod Atkinson, Hardingham, Corey Dellhole, Hartley.

The rest are not gunna be up to it.

Thatā€™s a pretty good hit rate: but itā€™s nothing new, and not re-inventing the wheel.

8 Likes

Skateboarding is not a crime.

I think thatā€™s my comment youā€™re referring to, and itā€™s about Fritsch, not Guelf.

1 Like

Kommer is one of the poorest players to play for us in recent times. He only played a full season for us because our other small forwards/ pressure players were a sharply declining davey, jetta and cory fkg delolio.

His only trick was to run, occasionally tackle and be a pest. I dont think he ran or harassed any more than any other midfielder did, but he did it exclusively in the forward/ half forwardline so it seemed like he was doing more of it.

Small forwards, even pressure forwards, these days need to be able to do more than just run around and cause mischief. You need to be able to legit lay tackle after tackle, be ferocious at the ball, or be a goal sneak. Kommer was neither of those. Iā€™m not sure heā€™d get a game at any club at the moment, to be honest.

Most importantly you need to kick goals. While he brought a lot of pressure on defences, he didnā€™t impact the scoreboard enough.