#35 Matt Guelfi - now til 2024!

The good thing about Guelfi he is so versatile and will play where asked to be to fill in and do a reasonable job. Would be happy with several more like him. He will be a much better player with another pre-season under his belt.

1 Like

Much will depend on training and preseason competition performance but It is up to others to displace him from the team.

Plus whats to say he doesnā€™t take another step up.

1 Like

Iā€™d be interested to hear what the coaches have planned for him in the long run. He wasnā€™t a high draft pick so he doesnā€™t get talked about in the same conversations as Langford and Laverde who we have high expectations for, and seem determined to find a spot for, but Guelfi looks to have shown a similar mount of talent and footy smarts.

It would be a shame to treat him as a last-picked-utility-bench player for 50 games when he could potentially be an elite defender, mid or fwd if allowed to focus.

3 Likes

No shame in being a Chris Daniher.
(I know CD played more than 100 games but it felt like 50)

1 Like

I donā€™t think a Guelfi has shown anywhere near what Langford showed last season.
Iā€™m not sold at all on laverde though and would have Guelfi well ahead on last seasonā€™s form.
But to my way of thinking Guelfi isnā€™t competing with either of those guys.

I think his place in the pecking order warrants him being treated as a last picked utility bench player at the moment.
He needs to step up to become more than that. Personally Iā€™d be surprised if he ends as elite anything.
I hope we try him as a small defender

1 Like

Hasnā€™t shown half of what Langford has shown.

Hasnā€™t played half the games Langford has played.:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Heā€™s shorter, too.
Soā€¦you knowā€¦not as much to show.

4 Likes

Didnā€™t take as long as Langford to show something though.

3 Likes

What about the girth?

Not quite Gary Oak levels.

With Guelfiā€™s height, weight, athleticism and the way he plays the game, I reckon he could end up being a very, very good, high possession on baller.

Now that heā€™s within a professional full-time environment and given some of his listed (see 1st 50 posts) efforts playing in WA, I think heā€™s a bloke who could have a break out season and then dominate.

As his WA coaches stated, his possible issue is that heā€™s too adaptable and flexible in being able to play any position.

Where he was drafted is irrelevant to the coaches. Do you think that Sheedā€™s thought Hird wasnā€™t much chop early because he was pick 79.

That said, if he plays 100 games it will be remarkable. I donā€™t think he will ever be elite as youā€™ve suggested, but he could be a more than handy role player. Hopefully a premiership player too.

1 Like

He could be real good if he works on a few things. He does a lot of things right.
Like Howlett, heā€™s great at staying in the contest, 2nd and 3rd efforts. Good athlete and heā€™s good overhead too. Also like Howlett, heā€™s a bit too scrappy by foot to really be confident with the ball in his hands.

4 Likes

Which shiel did the moment he got traded to us.

Colyer and Green effectively shared a spot, and theyā€™re both gone now.

2 Likes

Could Guelfi be used in the non existant tagging role? seems like the sort of bloke who could do it well.

2 Likes

Could perform well in a job that doesnā€™t exist?
Thatā€™s one doozy of a back handed compliment.

Still I suppose itā€™d be tricky to say he, or anyone, didnā€™t do it well.

Didnā€™t mean it that way.

Would be nice if we started to tag the players we know will cut us up. Rather than letting them cut us upā€¦

1 Like