#35 Matt Guelfi - now til 2024!

I get the Schloithe like, but don’t hang being drafted on the kid.
May not be a star, but he’s a truck load harder at it than a lot of our other players. Those are the players that are cheating Schloithe out of a spot.

4 Likes

I am confident that Guelfi will play 100+ games - I suspect he will end up a defender.

Counterpoint: Last year’s premiers.

1 Like

I get a bit of the Howletts.

1 Like

How anyone can think he may be a plodder after 2 weeks is beyond me. Hasn’t set a foot wrong yet, saying he might be a average role player is just as dumb as saying he’ll be a gun. Simple fact is we don’t know yet, but it’s a solid start and he’s already getting it about 20 times. Not sure what else is expected in the first two games in your career

15 Likes

I’m just commenting on what I see. Isn’t that the point of this forum? People are bemoaning Clarke’s omission and he’s never played league footy. Zerk Thatcher?

1 Like

I like this kid. Reckon he will be a very very good player.

2 Likes

I would try him on the oppositions best small forward for a few games and see how he goes.

We lack quality depth in small defenders.

1 Like

Gets the ball, puts on pressure, repeat efforts…clean up his kicking and he is above a lot of blokes on our list

1 Like

Did anybody say that he’s a plodder?

1 Like

Might be an average role player…In a premership team. We are far from that. Luckily for me, I have not watched a whole lot of footy in the last couple of weeks, from what I have seen, he seems to be playing his role, which is all you can ask of any young player who comes into the team.

I wish a few of his senior team mates would play their role, then we might get somewhere.

As for schloitheschloithe, I believe we should have cut deeper and taken both. We should cut nice and deep at the end of this year and bring in a couple of mature age players. Perhaps some of our players might get some prospective from digging ditches as a plumbers apprentice rather than being cacooned in a ‘professional’ AFL club.

Weirdly enough I hadn’t thought of cutting deeper and taking both. Schloithe vs Guelfi is an interesting one but now that I think about it Jackson Merrett vs Schloithe? Sheeeeezus

3 Likes

Didn’t know much about him but BRING

The fact Schloithe had previously spent 2012 and '13 on Fremantle’s rookie list without playing a game might have counted against him, while the midfield bull’s tank has also been questioned.

I imagine this has been the sticking point. Clubs may have thought there were better risks, rightly or wrongly.

If peedo compares him to Kommer, that’s the ultimate definition of a plodder/average role player/not much chop, whatever you wanna call it

Find some vision of his kicking.

It’s not an issue

I reckon it’s worth going for a couple of mature state league guys every draft.
Any 18 year olds after about pick 50 in the draft are wild swings in the dark.
These state league guys mightn’t have the upside but I reckon they are a better chance of being a solid player

3 Likes

I agree with this. Has enough pace and possibly has the discipline for this type of role.
I’m not confident McNeice can do this job and if we have someone who can lock down it frees up Saad and mcKenna to be a little more attacking

Guelfi is tough as well which I think is important when you are last line of defence.

He’s nice overhead for his size also.