#35 Matt Guelfi - now til 2024!

Our backline is getting pretty crowded, Saad, McKenna will be breaking lines 'til the mid 20’s; Francis, Ridley and Gleeson as those classy medium/talls; then you have Redman who I think can play that tough, skilful enforcer.

I agree that vanilla iceman has improvement in him but I think he has a lot of qualities you need in the midfield. Versatility has always been touted as his schtick and I don’t see that changing; I think he’ll be able to play that Myers/Howlett/Hocking role through the middle and also play defensive roles at either end of the ground. He is kind of the perfect 16-22 player; versatile, disciplined, bankable.

2 Likes

He will be playing wing for us permanently IMO. Not sure why people trying to move him into backline or think he will be into centre square.

He’s got speed, endurance and can win his own footy and a long kick.

Do Hawks look to play Isaac Smith in the backline or in the guts? Nope.

Guelfi as a first year 8 game player tracking beautifully comparatively to a 169 game 3X flag winner.

Very hard at the footy is the Elf!

------- Guelfi ------ vs ------ Smith

2 Likes

THE RIGHT STUFF

I agree. I see him as a reliable contributor all over the ground who plays a physical brand of football.

2 Likes

Guelfi is a lock in our 22 for the rest of season unless managed.
Parish, Zaka and colyer are going to be pushing for selection. It’s a shame Mutch had the concussion when he did

It also reinforces the fact that Clarke and Mutch can continue their apprenticeships in the VFL

Nothing wrong with either. A number of times (in his short career to date) he has received the ball in pressure situations, assessed the situation, made a good decision and made a pin point hand-pass or kick, - often a play to release pressure or put us on the attack.

8 Likes

Also, for example 3 times against the Eagles, he panicked and kicked it out of bounds. Also his goal was a shanked pass that went through by accident. Killer Mike is quite correct in saying his decision making and disposal needs work.

2 Likes

Yeh he is a bit rough around the edges but definitely adds some of the things we are lacking to the team. Similar to his mate killer mike, don’t always agree with his opinions but think he adds a lot to the forum and seems a good bloke.

4 Likes

Guelfi’s not afraid the take late contact when disposing of the ball. He’s tough as nails and only a few games into a likely long AFL career. I think he makes good decisions and the execution will improve as he adjusts to the pace of AFL.

3 Likes

He’ll play 200+ games for us.

Absolute beauty. Very rare to find someone who always keeps his feet, ALWAYS.

3 Likes

Needs a spell bring in Mutch

Whaaaat? I thought he was very good again. He stays in contests and often kills opposition momentum even if he’s outnumbered. He’s a footballer pure and simple. He stays in the team imo.

2 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

He’s been a little off the last couple weeks.

However, any replacement is unlikely to be as good a utility as he is.

3 Likes

Someone needs a spell and it isn’t Guelfi

6 Likes

No ■■■■■■■ way should he EVER EVER miss a senior game.

The way he plays is the epitome of our new tough brand of footy.

Hes going to be a 200 gamer.

I love every small act that he does out.on the footy field. He values the footy.

He was good yet AGAIN today.

4 Likes

His output was a little down today - 14 disposals and 2 tackles. Was he playing a defensive role perhaps?

He’s only averaging 16 and 3. He wasn’t that far off his normal output

Was ok. Never lost a contest