#36 Michael Hartley

So to be clear - your less surprising solution would be to drop Heppell, and replace him with Mutch?
And use 32 year old Goddard in Zaka’s running outside mid role?

1 Like

Ok, I have said what I would do. How about you say what you would do?

He’s been poor every week!!

I’m struggling to think of a particular player or type that Hartley has played well on that Ambrose has failed on. I can think of a few times where the reverse has happened.

Franklin

Well, I think it would be crazy to drop the captain at this point. I don’t think it will achieve anything constructive at all, nor do we have anyone to come in for him. If I were to shuffle things around, I’d bring in McNeice for Bags, move McG to wing/def, bring in Clarke for Myers, have Laverde rotate mid/fwd with Stringer, play Hooker back, use Ambrose/Hartley according to opposition, play McKenna wing when he gets back, possibly blood Zerk for 4 or 5 games, and I would look into whether dropping JoeDan would have a net positive or negative effect overall.

2 Likes

You know that’s not true.

Round 1: good
Round 2: pretty average. Brown was comically bad but Hartley gets dropped
Round 4: good
Round 5: i thought was alright. I mean I missed most of the third because I left at half time but unless he got 6 goals kicked on him during that time I think he was OK. But again, I understand Hartley out, Ambrose in, but is he seriously the only one omitted from that dumpster fire?

Hawkins?

They are both good examples.

You still have to ignore that while Hartley has kept both of those guys goalless, he has also had his ■■■ handed to him by them as well.

fair enough. I didn’t think you would reply with a proper post. I was expecting a sarcastic response. Fair play to you

Whatever would give you that idea???

:open_mouth:

You couldn’t understand what we were criticising him about after rounds 1&4, and he did some good stuff, but he still made mistakes too.

I just reckon he’s pretty one dimensional, and he’s shown no improvement for over a year.
I don’t think he’s completely useless, I think he’s struggling to cope with adding other facets to his game. And he needs to, and find some confidence too: His hands are fumbly. He’s slow. He’s a 50/50 prospect overhead. Doesn’t go for marks. Offers very little drive.

Needs to go back to VFL and work on stuff, like Gleeson did last year.

Also don’t think he ever fits in a backline with Hooker and Hurley. 3 big slow guys. Doesn’t work.

0.5 I think?

Superb standing of the mark.

Pretty sure Hooker was out marked by that same average player.

Our problem is that our players are being caught out 1:1 all the time. Good teams don’t let that happen very often.

Hey, keeping Buddy goalless is a fair effort, regardless of the points.

He also played him rather well that night. Totally lost him up the ground of course, but so has every player we’ve ever played on him.

Hooker was trash on Wednesday as well, a few truly hopeless efforts. Has a few runs on the board though.

You are correct about the one on ones, it happens to often, but at some point footy does occasionally come down to actually beating your man. Collingwood got plenty of entries but it was rarely silver service

1 Like

Agreed, forced him to have his shots from distance and wide. Didn’t let him out the back

Unlucky to be omitted
Seems to be related to matchups

2 Likes

Totally disagree. Easy to pot the guy who was under siege after half time due to a midfield and forward line placing zero pressure on balls out of forward 50 or the centre.
I actually thought he did well considering and is hard done by to be dropped.
Myers “rested” is a joke! As if he hasn’t been dropped. He was worst on ground by a country mile.
Ambrose won’t fair much better mark my words if our mids and forwards keep dishing up the garbage they did on Wednesday and against the Dogs

3 Likes

Yep. Beat him, but it’s not like he was totally blanketed (which he did do to Hawkins from memory?).
And he couldn’t repeat the dose, which is the more relevant point.

He’s not done, but he needs to add another string to his bow.