#36 Michael Hartley

Dunn might not be viable at 32 in 2019, so they will be looking for key defenders in the trade period. They are desperate

Iā€™ve always thought Hartley would look good in red and white. And his boot would be a weapon on the smaller ground, grundy isnā€™t getting younger.

Grundy signed a year extension, theyā€™re crazy.

I think heā€™s a great vfl defender. Not enough weapons for seniors.

1 Like

That might be so. I still maintain he played his best football when he was confident his spot was safe. All of 2016. Early 2017 when both Brown and Ambrose were down with medium term injuries.

When someone has been breathing down his neck heā€™s got spooked quickly.

I domā€™t see how he makes it from here. Heā€™s not taking a spot from hooker or Hurley. Even if he managed to stay on the list til they decline, he probably would have been overtaken by Zerk and others by then

1 Like

Hartley does everything in the VFL I wished he did in the AFL.

5 Likes

He needs to mark, rather than punch, when heā€™s clear. Punching seems to be his first option.

1 Like

this and other comments along a similar ilk - and throw in Stewart, Green. Guys who are top tier for the VFL, but can be found wanting in the AFL. There is a big gulf between AFL and VFL. From yesterdayā€™s game, the Richmond VFL side was way off for intensity compared to their AFL team.

Feel like if he just eradicated the dumb things he is prone to doing occassionally, (giving away silly frees etc) he could be very useful at afl level. Not sure if heā€™ll get the chance to with us

Weā€™d be mad not to give him 1 more year.

As much as I love Zerk, I donā€™t want him rushed,

Harley is capable. He just needs to believe he can do at AFL level what he does at VFL, which I think he can.

8 Likes

I would give him 1 year. In the VFL he goes for and takes plenty of marks. In the AFL he rarely tries to mark. In the VFL he tries to win the ball but in the AFL he always tries to halve the contest at best. Men often mature after they have children. I know it sounds corny, but that personal responsibility may flow over into his footy. He has the tools. He needs to go for it at AFL level like he does in the VFL. I would like to see him given the chance.

1 Like

Has weapons (kicking and spoiling have been ranked elite at next level), and is worth keeping. Cruises at VFL level. Needs to be as relaxed and confident when stepping into the AFL, and so some of it is above the shoulders ā€¦ There are a number of other questions though when he makes the step up that Iā€™m looking out for at the momentā€¦Is he agile enough laterally and does he move and recover quickly enough from defensive contest to contest? Can he mark under pressure and use his height to intercept mark? And is he poised enough to make decisions when the heat is on? Does he have ability below his knees?.. Additionally, for mine he has a tendency at the next level to watch his man, and ā€˜chaseā€™ him to the contest and lacks anticipation. Needs to model his game on Hooksy who despite some limitations is a gun, and who potentially has had some similar areas that he has had to work on.

2 Likes

Heā€™d be starting 22 in at least 5 other teams imo, possibly more. There are plenty of clubs who donā€™t have two AA key defenders already in their side.

If no other club is sniffing around a ready-to-go, 25 year old, 198cm key defender who has previously kept Buddy and Hawkins goalless and has a competent record on all the gameā€™s best forwardsā€¦ Then they arenā€™t paying enough attention, especially when you consider how cheap heā€™d be.

3 Likes

Spot on. 5 years ago he would be playing afl everyweek. But fwd line structures are changing a lot. The talls have to be mobile, and there are less of them. hell the full fwd runs as many ks as the mids now.

Harts needs to be able to go with em.

Good player but excess to needs

Weā€™ve got Hooker, Hurley and Ambrose that are preferred ahead of him and then Zerk-Thatcher nipping at his heels. Francis could play a key position if required too and we are most likely drafting Dustyā€™s boy.

Iā€™d prefer to give Zerk-Thatcher a go if a spot opens up to injury, otherwise we risk losing him to a team with more opportunity.

The only reason to keep Hartley is if you want to swing Hooker forward again next year

Itā€™s because of these changes to the game that I also think Zerk will be a jet, and have been banging on about him so much! I think the great key defenders now need to have a flexibility like Fletch had to play tall, small impact on the ground and in the air. Zerk reminds me at times me of a 6 foot 5 Wanganeeen. Hartley wonā€™t ever move or have the subtleties like a Zerk but should be focussed on improvement.

I just want to see monster torps at AFL level marked by Joey in centre circle, play onā€¦ twirling fingers!

5 Likes

Assuming he makes it through to 2021 or so, Hurls and Hooker gone, Zerk is the big Hooker style intercept marker, Francis the counter-attacking rebounder, I still think thereā€™s a spot for 1 x meat and potatoes defender. Iā€™m just not sure heā€™s it.

Ridley is very much a running player, despite his height.

1 Like

Which is almost everything wrong with him -
He looks to punch every time. He looks for the forwardā€™s body. He dumps off short hospital handballs, rarely tries to use his boot.
Confidence.

He is worth persisting with. He has some great tools and he is big. He just needs to spend another year or two learning from Hooker and can be his replacement. Zerk is still very much an unknown for me.

1 Like