#36 Michael Hartley

Many of us have been saying that for sometime. With the changes in the AFL rules coming into force 2019 season, he would be a perfect fit.

1 Like

now you are talking

Iā€™d love to see that!!!

efa

Glad he got another chance. He was massive for us when the players got the 12 month bans. Didnā€™t get a good go at it in the seniors since then but is still young. Worth another year.

Stupid memes.

I really hope Hartley isnā€™t the designated replacement for Hooker.

I dont have too much issue with this one. I assume the club felt there wasnā€™t a better list option in the short term. Maybe they are still concerned about Joey and this allows Hooker to go fwd when needed.

To those asking can he improve? Probably not, but we know his best footy is decent so i think itā€™s more about him recapturing that form and maintaining it consistently.

If nothing else weve resigned a good clubman who is capable of filling a role when needed.

Well that depends on ow the new rule set up works. Hartley is probably the best long kick we have. He should be doing all the kicks outs out of defence. He is one of the few who is capable of kicking the footy to the centre like Dustin Fletcher did on many occasions. Who else have got who is as reliable?

Good on you Harts, its good to have signed up and playing for us. Go Bombers.

4 Likes

I think itā€™s the right call, good back up and still has some improvement.

3 Likes

Heā€™s in my best 22.
But then I select Hooker forward.

3 Likes

I like him. Iā€™d have him in before Ambrose. Heā€™s got a few more tools than the Ram.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Weā€™ve played our best footy in the last 5 years with Hooker and Hurley in defence. We have a capable list of forwards who can play KPF. Why do people still insist on player Hooker/Hurley Fwd? :thinking::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Because our forward line in 2017 was the best itā€™s been in almost two decades. If it was in front of our second half 2018 midfield we kick a lot of goals.

1 Like

You could argue we played some of our best footy in 2017 when Hooker was forward.
Personally Iā€™d stick with him back, but you could argue that.

I actually think the way forward lines are likely to setup in 2019 will make him more valuable in defence then he was this year.
West Coastā€™s flag win (and what Mason Cox did to Richmond in the prelim) will see some teams lean towards taller forward lines.
Port have already said theyā€™ll play 2 ruckmen. Melbourne have indicated the same although I doubt it in their case, but even if they donā€™t, I think McDonald is a good one for Hooker to play on.

This!

His main advantage over Ambrose is heā€™s not injured all the time. Getting to be a worrying trend for Ambrose.

1 Like

I actually like the balance of Hurley, Hartley and Francis down back. Hooker has been and is a great player but I am concerned his pace and agility could get worse and quickly. Also think we will need the height down back as I think teams will look for a couple of tall marking options as a point of difference. The top teams all have good mid fields and as seen in the grand final good marking options won out.

2 Likes

Yay.

So Hartley, forward or back?