#36 Michael Hartley

Except that at Hartleys age Hooker was an All-Australian, nor did Essendon ever try and fail to delist him

When did we try delist him?

You know you donā€™t need to try to do thatā€¦ you just do itā€¦

Youā€™re the last person left on the Hartley bandwagon

3 Likes

He jumped on hartlys wagon but the closer he got to the front he realised no one is driving and itā€™s heading towards a cliff. Then he looked over his shoulder and realised that everyone has jumped off.

3 Likes

We didnt. We tried to trade him to the gold coast so we could pick up josh caddy back in the day, but he refused.

1 Like

Percebushby on Hartleys bandwagon

4 Likes

No, the one he refused was the trade to West Coast for 2 picks in the 20ā€™s.
Gold Coast refused the trade for Caddy.

Iā€™m still on the bandwagon.

I just donā€™t think he is playing in the right position. As a fullback/CHB I find he is too defensive and doesnt go for marks. Too interested in where his man is at and spoiling. Has he ever been tried forward where he can focus on the ball rather than his opponent?

1 Like

Iā€™m not confident he will make it now. He gives away far too many frees in marking contests, definitely the last 2 years. The strange thing is he looked a better player in 2016 when given the fact that team was gutted by 12 players not being available is all the more remarkable. IMO itā€™s the reason why Hooker has been sent back to defence. If Harts has just been a solid, dependable AFL defender and held down the full-back position Hooksey wouldā€™ve stayed up forward, where he did score 41 goals in 2017.

1 Like

Definitely gets caught out of position sometimes and goes the grab on the jumper

That Hooker move back didnā€™t work initially really either.

It all started to look good when the midfield and fwd pressure actually clicked like it should. As well as better ball movement.

No defender looks good without that really. Least of all a depth player.

IF ā€¦ he comes in this week with Hooker fwd itā€™s probably as they feel Hookers presence there is needed to have us score effectively as a team & more than any associated goals Hartley might give up comparatively.

We are only here due to injuries so have to make do

It would be a very risky/ballsy move to our Hooker forward and bring Hartley in imo.

2 Likes

Hooker is far too valuable to us in defence. He ainā€™t moving, itā€™ll be Francis to play forward this week

3 Likes

I really hope he does make it. Heā€™s a ripper bloke. Not sure heā€™ll get much opportunity but heā€™s adequate depth IMO for now

2 Likes

Totally agree with this. Wish he had a bit more confidence in winning the ball down back rather than the totally defensive mindset where he focuses on the man and not the ball.

1 Like

His hoof and his fist are actual weapons. Top of my list of blokes who I want to make it. But heā€™s got a bit of the Langfords it feels like and heā€™s bad man on man.

Really thought weā€™d found something special in 2016. But heā€™s gone backwards so fast itā€™s almost unbelievable.

3 Likes

Hartley kicking out after a behind would be a weapon for us, but you have to go with Hooker back as the first option.

Iā€™m still not convinced heā€™s actually gone backwards. I reckon we just accepted some of his mistakes at the time and wrote them off as (a) a young guy just coming back into the system and still learning and/or (b) the backline was swamped so he was bound to lose some contests.

Heā€™s basically just kept making the same mistakes and theyā€™re more visible in a team that is competitive

1 Like

Iā€™m still very interested in examples of Michael Hartley getting so soundly beaten that everybody has formed such a low opinion of him.

As I said in another thread (that had nothing to do with him), heā€™s played at least 30 of his 40 senior games on the oppositionā€™s best forward. 15 or so of them were in a wooden spooner team. If he was as sh*t as everyone says, thereā€™d be a long list of ā– ā– ā– -kickings.

But there actually isnā€™t. Buddy kicked 7 on him, and Hawkins 6, both in 2016. (Yet as an interesting note, he has also kept both those guys goaless, which nobody else on the list has ever done.)

Heā€™s certainly no Cale Hooker, and heā€™s become surplus to our needs, but heā€™s not as bad as many are making out, and certainly not as a one-out defender.

18 Likes

^ That.

Lucky I got on the bandwagon earlier, itā€™s starting to fill again!

1 Like