#36 Michael Hartley

Its relevant because his attacking side of his game is what the club has asked him to improve.

There is that I guess.

1 Like

Harts is listed at 199cm and 100kg, Hooker 198cm and 103kgs. One struggles to handle the big forwards, the other is practically unshiftable and is an absolute beast. Only 3kgs difference. He either needs to put another 5-6kgs of muscle on so he can handle the gorillas or heā€™s got to work on his intercept craft. Christ if Liam Jones can do it, and he is an absolute potato, surely Harts can?

I think Hartley is a very poor one on one defender. He seems to lose any semblance of where his man is by ball watching, then panics and grabs the jumper. He also for whatever reason never seem to go body on body. He liked to try and run and jump at the ball to spoil. His leap and spoiling works pretty well as 3rd man up. But im not sure he has the game smarts to play that role better than who we already have

Correct.

Heā€™s not great under the high ball deep in defence.

From memory in ā€˜16 some of his highlights were spoils on the lead and in big packs.

Hope he makes it back, because it means the team will be well placed. Just not sure that he will

1 Like

I reckon we can do more tactically with the 70m barrel from full back.

e.g. do a couple of monster torps to Bellcho on the wing, so that the other team stretch out their zone; then we can spot up some 40m kicks to Conor in the space created, etc.

Used in this way Harts could be more of a weapon from full back.

I think a lot on here are assuming that if Harts did come in, he is automatically on Hawkins.

Thatā€™s a big ask in your first game back in ages, he might be better suited to playing on the Fijian bloke & Mick Hurley has first crack on Hawkins.

Opens up a whole olethora of proptunitiesā€¦

drink

I find it a little bizarre they havenā€™t tried it in the VFL, at least for a few games

1 Like

Drink

Hang on a mo!
HTF can that work?
Weā€™ll be blind in no time!

2 Likes

I think KM is well and truly on the way (could already be there). :grin:

Shhhā€¦ he just seems that way :wink:

When you look at the two seasons where Hearts played the majority of his games (2016, 2017), we ranked 2nd and 5th in rebound 50s in those years. This is instructive and indicates that the defensive unit as a whole was under enormous pressure in those years (2016 - saga). Teams had a lot of inside 50s against us. This was mainly a problem with our midfield, not purely a poor defensive unit.

Like @Paul_Peos - I watched all of those games and actually thought Hearts acquitted himself quite well. He was soundly beaten in a few games, but held his own in plenty more.

Has a proclivity to lose himself at times and reverts to jumper holds (giving away too many free kicks), but to imply that Hearts playing and us being trash is somehow linked (with emphasis on Hearts) is just drunken lunacy talking.

Has only played 4 games since 2018 (since the General has returned). I donā€™t particularly rate him, however, he is nowhere near as bad as is being made out in here.

1 Like
1 Like

Having a good game thus far today.

Is this guy an option for us in the ruck given our dearth of options right now?

I cannot understand how we have a tall athletic guy who has a very good kick and we have zero tall forward back up options left but have not tried him forward at all

5 Likes

Given heā€™s pretty dominant at VFL level, what is this based on?

Dominant at VFL level yes. But he hasnt been able to translate that into his AFL appearances.

In his appearances in the AFL he has been exposed for speed/agility, strength and endurance at different times and he hasnā€™t displayed the elite defensive IQ needed to overcome those vulnerabilities. Nor has he made any significant strides in eiter his strength or his endurance, both can be improved with hard work.

The step up in the quality of AFL forwards, most of whom are elite in at least one of the aforementioned physical attributes, is unfortunately a step too far for Harts.

He hasnā€™t even been able to bring his greatest attribute, his kicking, into the seniors either.

I see Harts the same way as I see McNeice, good team men, great VFL players but, ultimately not AFL standard.

When I said there would be better KPPs available, I meant better AFL prospects who possess physical characteristics which would aid them in defending the modern types of forwards.

Look at Ambrose who possesses more standout physical traits which makes him a more effective defender in the AFL.

1 Like