#36 Michael Hartley

You do know St Kilda/Hawthorn/Fremantle made Grand Finals (and won some) with guys like Stephen Gilham and Zac Dawson as KP defenders, right? I think your view of what makes an AFL standard may be a little out. I think Collingwood would have liked to have someone of his quality in the finals last year.

Obviously a good chunk is your opinion, but my opinion is its wrong. :stuck_out_tongue: IMO heā€™s varied between usually being adequate to good in most of his AFL appearances, and hardly played the last two years as we havenā€™t had a huge number of KP defensive injuries. I think the number of times heā€™s failed majorly is significantly overstated by the Blitz community, who may have too many years of Hooker/Hurley/Fletcher/Wellman as the standard, all of whom were AAs.

And given how teams have struggled to find defenders, the idea there are 6 better ones out there ready to go is a claim Iā€™m skeptical about.

9 Likes

Agree, I think heā€™s is afl quality for sure the days he puts it together.

Hasnā€™t played AFL enough in the last 2 years for us to see if heā€™s improved. But heā€™s having a good year in the 2ā€™s

1 Like

NINA

1 Like

Should be tried forward.

1 Like

Not a terrible player but I wouldnā€™t trust him not to panic and give away a holding the man free at a crucial stage in the pressure finals brings.

Also the reason he has hardly played in the last two years is simply because the coaches donā€™t rate him. Between Hooker possibly being needed forward and Ambrose having multiple injuries there was plenty of times in recent years things could have been shuffled around and Hartley brought in, but they chose not to. Of course coaches arenā€™t always right, but in this case they are.

1 Like

Heā€™s played 41 AFL games so itā€™s not like he hasnā€™t been given opportunity.

Itā€™s just that he hasnā€™t developed the way we would have liked.

You canā€™t have two out and out stoppers in the backline and it just so happens that Ambrose is far more reliable.

Heā€™s good depth but not quite AFL standard.

3 Likes

Well said.

You & I have clashed in the past, whereas I rarely (if ever) disagree with HM, however, on this occasion I reckon you are spot on.

Heartsā€™ ā€˜significantā€™ failures have definitely been overstated on Blitz.

And with very few senior opportunities in the past 2 years, how is it possible to truly rate him?

This is why I went with the following top 4 recruiting priorities the other day.

1/ Ruckman (but donā€™t use a high draft pick on one).
2/ Mid - can never have enough (top draft pick).
3/ Small forward (depth).
4/ KPD - Hooker, Hurley to eventually be replaced by Zerk, Franga, Ambrose, Hearts (backup) + a new KPD.

2 Likes

Hurls is only 2 years older than Ambrose/Hartley so theyā€™re not exactly long term replacements.
I suspect in the next couple of years we will look to pick up another KPD though itā€™s a low(er) priority atm

So the fact that Harts is 2 years younger than Ambrose means he is 4 years younger than Hurls
4 years is a long time in footy

Edit for better accuracy
Hurls - Ambo 1.5 yrs apart
Hurls - Harts 3 yrs and a week

1 Like

This is pretty much what I said above. KPD would be my 4th priority (at the moment).

If there were an opportunity to take an athletic tall via the rookie draft that we can start developing as a back I would pull the pin now.

Somebody with the athletic profile of a Majak Daw would be good.

1 Like

Ah sorry, I thought Hurley was born in ā€˜91

1 Like

Mabior Chol from Richmond isnā€™t getting a look in despite their injuries and whilst playing as a Ruck/KPF I think he would make a good defender, he certainly has all the tools.

1 Like

Yeah and heā€™s still young.

Iā€™m sure there are lots of others available from non AFL backgrounds as well.

Dodoro knows how to find talls from unexpected sources.

1 Like

In any other Club, Hartley would get a game. He is competing against Hooker and Hurley and also Ambrose. At 199 cm and 100 kg, he would be Carlscums best defender. He must be on a reasonable package to stay at the Bombers.

2 Likes

No.

Heā€™s just not good enough, at the moment.

If he can learn how to be more attacking, or defend under a high ball without giving away free kicks, maybe heā€™ll make it back to AFL.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really not sure he would. Maybe 1 or 2 clubs max. He isnā€™t a good enough one on one defender and doesnā€™t have enough other tricks to make up for it

2 Likes

I think it would be way more than 1-2 clubs. Especially allowing for injuries.

1 Like

Iā€™m not convinced he would be a best 22 player at other clubs or otherwise he would be there.

Heā€™s not being held out by Hooker and Hurley heā€™s just not good enough. If he was good enough they would have no issue with sending Hooker forward when we had no other talls down there but they didnā€™t.

If he had clubs interested he would be gone already.

2 Likes

With the way this bloke gets unfairly maligned in here, maybe a thread title change to ā€¦

#36 Micheal Harshly. is in order? :thinking:

5 Likes