#36 Michael Hartley

Well, that’ll set a fire under him. Should go and kill it in the magoos this weekend.

The kid kicked two goals.

2 Likes

So we agree? shot and delisted.

Who the he’ll doesn’t get beaten by good ones? They’re too tall to spoil and the kid has a huge leap. Short of shepherding him out - which is a free kick- I’m not sure how you stop that. Any ideas? Or reasons Brown would do better?

Little me thought he actually did okay all in all. Sure, got beaten there in the 2nd half but still spoiled a shitload, and moreover, he didn’t take a backward step. Went fwd and created nicely through the centre. Surprised me with his accurate kicking and mobility too.
Lots to like about his endeavor. Many players would react differently.

1 Like

It’s pretty clear that Woosha and Harves are not big fans and that he’ll be shipped off at the end of the season. That or he’ll come back in next week and pick up Walker.

I don’t think this tell the whole story. 2.2 was his numbers, and with the game in the balance hipwood beat Hartley and lucky for us kicked it out on the full. I’d say he was beaten on the night.

Not that i see it as drop worthy. I think he was dropped for balance. We lack in intercept marks down back and Brown will provide that.

1 Like

Sometimes when the coaches change the personnel it’s not because someone had a ■■■■ game, or someone else was tearing it up in the magoos. Sometimes things are done for other reasons. But I guess there’s no “I told you so” in that.

4 Likes

They talked about encouraging him to zone off and intercept throughout the summer. He hasn’t don’t it yet. Brown’s game if based around that and he killed it in the vfl.

Ultimately I think Hart’s can be more damaging in that role than brown but he needs to back his judgement more

Fwiw I think the most resolute our defense had looked was in the second quarter against GC where we had hurls harts and brown

In the JLT game against Geelong, Harry Taylor beat Brown twice on the lead and kicked a couple of goals. Clearly Brown is not much better than Harts in that respect, if at all.

In the VFL game against Footscray, the reigning VFL premiers, Brown had 26 disposals and 12 marks playing as a key defender . Its hard to gauge but about 8 of those marks appeared to be intercept marks, mostly contested as well, while the rest were switches.

Surely that counts for something.

Maybe Woosha wants to try a change of emphasis in the back 6, away from lockdown, to more marking power.

In certain that that is exactly what they want to do. And I think they want to encourage Hartley to play that way.

the lack of intercept marking in defence is clearly or biggest deficiency down there. That’s why I like Francis as a defender.

That said it is harder to intercept if sides are going to run the ball more.

Woosha just said on bomber radio that Hartley was omitted as he needs to work on his attacking game.

Which fits in with what he said about him last year as well.

This year we are going to set up a zone more often, We need Ambrose and Hartley to learn/take the opportunities to intercept, and move away from the 100% lockdown they did last year, and make the gradual transition to that way of playing.

Hartley needs to take more marks rather than just punch everything.

2 Likes

That’s his biggest weapon in my book. I don’t like him out of the side, hope he’s back soon

6 Likes

Woosh hates Harts confirmed.

Woosh, we’re sorry, its time for you to go.

So his biggest weapon is that he can create a 50/50 contest instead of giving us clear possession?
Might be in a bit of strike if that’s the case