#36 Michael Hartley

We were still pretty mediocre last time I looked. Same issues as before:

• no systems and panicked in defence,
  • no midfield depth.
  • no defence in the midfield.
  • slow midfield (which becomes positively glacial after half-time).
  • pisspoor skills.
  • wafer-thin ruck stocks.

The only thing that has improved somewhat is our forward line structure (though we still deliver it poorly)

1 Like

NINA

1 Like

ANNA

Its concerning that out of what seemed a pretty decent, functional backline last year (given the quantity of ball coming in) Gleeson, Hartley, Dea and McKenna have all gone backwards. Only really Ambrose has stepped it up. Kelly has also gone a bit backwards, but given his age that is hardly unexpected. Brown has been relatively stable off limited viewing (both years).

They seemed a pretty tight unit at the back end of last year, but not so much now.

1 Like

Are we giving up more inside 50ā€™s this year?

Or are we just allowing easier entries for opposition when we turn it over? We certainly would have a far less defensively committed/capable midfield group this year.

Donā€™t underestimate the value of him allowing hurley to be freed up to move further up the ground

1 Like

The coaches have simply asked him to improve his game. Be a bit more attacking with ball in hand (which given he seems to get it in the back line a bit and is a good kick is hardly unreasonable) and mark the ball when you are in a good position to do so instead of spoiling every time which in the modern game is a necessary because a spoil that falls to an opponent can easily shoot back inside defensive 50 for a goal (not to mention marking gives us possession).

The coaches havenā€™t ruined his form, which is what you are implying, he is simply playing poorly (and despite all the whereā€™s Hartley comments when they shuffled the backline around wasnā€™t in brilliant form at the start of the year).

1 Like

he seems to me to be a very confidence-based type of person/player. also from the little Iā€™ve seen of him off the ground.
You could see right at the start of the game he decided he was gonna try be attacking and was very frustrated when didnā€™t receive the ball when all alone in the middle of the ground.
canā€™t be easy when youā€™re on the cusp yet playing in a position (taking the no1 KF) where every single thing you do will be dissected and magnified.
I would stick it out with him. He could do great things with some confidence and not being afraid of the coaching box every time the ball is sailing I50. looks to me to have alot of upsideā€¦

1 Like

Harts always had a weakness on the really mobile forwards who could get the jump on him and lead into space. He was exposed on Hipwood in round 2 in that way. On the other hand he destroyed 2 metre Peter in the practice game against the Suns, because Wright was static and waited for the ball to come in and was a sitting duck for Harts to spoil.

4 Likes

To be fair, 95% of all backmen struggle on fast leading forwards if they have space to lead into. Hipwood is going to cause defenders nightmares for years - heā€™s mobile, long arms and tall. Simply put if the forward is tall/huge and controls the space in front of him, all defenders who arenā€™t candidates for GOAT (e.g. Fletcher, Silvagni) struggle.

1 Like

Last year our midfield got smashed at clearances and wasnā€™t particularly defensive, but probably then picked up the game a bit once they had time to setup structures. I think there have been some games this year when the midfield have been totally opened up, but many where that hasnā€™t occurred. I do think a number of those guys I listed are just down, and Iā€™m suspicious that it is because of the lack of continuity and immediately putting McGrath/Hurley/Bags/Stanton into the back line.

If a good delivery is made to any good leading forward, a defender has fark-all chance to do anything about it within todayā€™s rules.

2 Likes

Defender is an almost impossible job these days.

Nah itā€™s easy. Those blokes that defend against Joe Daniher just chop the arms or hold him. No problemo!

2 Likes

If defenders canā€™t beat their man on lead then they have to play in front at all times.

Hartley seemingly likes to defend from behind and get the punch in. As such he seemingly always trails his man / gets burnt on the lead.

When midfield turns over footy and easy unexpected entries happen where havenā€™t reset defence or your own positioning canā€™t be blamed though. And that happens a lot with us at present so defenders always left caught out.m

And also poor midfield pressure means they waltz it down the ground into our defence.

I donā€™t think you can judge a defenderā€™s game when the ball spent over 3/4qtrā€™s of the game there.

Easy if you never actually have an opponent. Just ask Josh Gibson.

2 Likes

Looked really unhappy tonight. i hope hes alright.

I donā€™t think he was that bad, really. He was unlucky on a few decisions. Anyone defending Hawkins one on one, with Hawkins backing back defending the ball drop are in a world of ā– ā– ā– ā– . Needed more of a chop out.

2 Likes