#36 Michael Hartley

100%
But I’ve put ‘often injured’ players in the best 22 over the years and they never get on the park often enough to actually perform for any length of time. Last years run of games by Lav showed he has so much to offer and build on.

He is an absolute missing link to the forward line, and possibly the midfield.

But for now, I just want to see him string 10-15 games together.

My new interpretation of AFL rules

If you hold Tom Hawkins jumper, free kick to Tom Hawkins

If Tom Hawkins holds your jumper, free kick to Tom Hawkins

This is correct yes?

Umps slaughtered Harts, still had a few big spoils though. Hawko’s a big lad hard to contain, and Harts being sacraficed meant Hurley cut them up.

5 Likes

That’s probably a trend across the board for the big forwards. If you take front position and can protect the ball drop you will get a free kick 9-10 when your opponent inevitably panics, even the slightest bit.

But Hartley was much better and mostly held Hawkins pretty well until the last qtr when the Cats just freewheeled themselves back into the game. And in that scenario he was beating most opponents.

Structurally we actually look like a footy team with Harts at FB. He’s our only actual FB isn’t he?

I’m backing him in anyway. He’s played less than 30 AFL games and watching that first 20 last season there is definitely enough there to work with.

1 Like

Hartley was clearly our worst player - Outclassed by Hawkins and to make it even worse, he was like a deer in headlights when he had the ball.

Get Hooker back

Harsh. V harsh. The ball was coming in alot. No help. His opp is a gorilla.
More importantly - don’t think anyone could have done better bar hooker so it doesn’t really matter.
One of the first I’d pencil in.

I’m team Harts. I’m backing him in.

3 Likes

Yaco pls.

2 Likes

And really, I wouldn’t have expected anything else.

Hawkins is at the peak of his game, 28 years old, 200 games, two time premiership player, and has been All-Australian.

Hartley is a 23 year old late developer who is still finding his feet at AFL level. Plenty of times Hooker and Hurley had their arses handed to them at that age against gun forwards.

No reason to stress IMO.

7 Likes

I would agree with you if our players were playing in a vacuum, but Hartley had a very very good opponent.
Hartley had to play 100% game time and tired a bit in the last, just when there was a lot of incoming…He was against a player in red hot form, who is currently 3rd top goal kicker in the competition.

I reckon Brown is a better option. He can intercept mark, provide some rebound and zone off. He’s also far more composed with the ball.

Hartley is minding a spot while Ambrose is out. To me our best defensive unit is pretty clear cut, and includes Ambrose, Hurley and Brown.

1 Like

True. But he’s also less defensive (less spoils, less tackles) and a bit smaller and lighter (7kgs) than Harts.

Brown’s been good, but until we see him contain a gorilla forward I don’t think we can say he’s clearly the better option.

After being a bit panicked and holding Kennedy in first half had a much better second half.

Flew for his marks. Kicking was good. Huge punches back again.

Was named in our bests on AFL site

6 Likes

He’s going to murder Jack next week. He’s due.

Agree that 2nd half improved out of site. However, AFL site can GAGF.

He’s back !

1 Like

I think he’s fortunate we’ve won the last two weeks.

3 Likes

It’s a real worry when he gets turned around with space behind though to be fair most defenders do. I think he needs to get better at identifying where the dangerous space is and taking it. Any time it comes in flat with some space on one side he is in trouble. Looks fine if it is coming high

Gets better not a spud can make it stick with him