#36 Michael Hartley

Will be interesting. Kennedy and Hawkins are strong forwards, but not what I would call “crafty” forwards. Hartley had a tough time containing them in one on ones when isolated - but I thought he was ok in general.

Riewoldt is a different proposition, not necessarily an easier one. He won’t push Hartley out of the way, or outwrestle him in one on ones, but I reckon he might be a more dangerous match up, because Jack is a bit more crafty than the 100kg + gorillas (can I use that word?) he’s been playing on. He’ll be dangerous on the lead if he gets good supply, and he’ll probably pick up a few cheap goals “out the back”.

I’m not sure Hartley is the right match up for Jack, but that said - he definitely deserves first crack at it.

2 Likes

We gave him a 2 year contract for a reason. He should be given every opportunity.

1 Like

3 big forwards, 3 little forwards, 3 big backs, 3 little backs the KISS system. Harts, Hurls. Ambrose, bench to provide options if needed.

2 Likes

Would probably prefer Ambrose on Jack. We don’t have that option so Harts it is. I do think there’s room for Hurley, Hartley and Ambrose in the same defense though.

2 Likes

He has. And in the first week commentators were drawing specific attention to trying to isolate him and yesterday his man was BOG for the other mob who got rolled by 10 goals. How common is that from a key forward?

We’re not obliged to play him just because he’s contracted especially when one of the form stoppers in the comp is now (presumably) fit. He’s good depth but when he gets an opportunity he has to demand not to be dropped a la Dea. He hasn’t.

1 Like

Who had Kennedy as BOG?

How common is BOG for a KPF? You mean like ANZAC day or last week against Geelong?

1 Like

Kennedy was the Eagles best for mine. Who was yours?

1 Like

And I don’t think BOG for a losing side in a 10 goal loss is that common do you?

1 Like

I was there at the game and as weird as it sounds his impact was as minimal as it can be for a player who kicked four goals. At least two of them were as a result of quick ball movement when not even Sir Fletch would have got a hand in. He may have been their best on ground. I am not sure how may KPFs are BOG for a losing team in a ten goal loss. Feels a lot like a bulsh1t argument to make a point to be honest.

Hartley played one on one with the player likely to win the Coleman medal for the third year in a row. He did so without the double teaming most teams employ which freed up our backline and allowed us to hurt them on the counter attack. As the game wore on, he himself started to play off Kennedy and hurt the Eagle the other way.

8 Likes

Are you saying he was BOG or their BOG? If you are saying he was their BOG, then surely every team that loses by 10 goals has a player who is BOG for them?

This is bizarre

1 Like

No impact? He kicked 1/3 of their score and beat his opponent convincingly. Yes Hartley tried hard, yes he improved, yes he was probably out of his metaphorical weight division, but he was clearly beaten. And is clearly NOT a better lockdown defensive option than Ambrose. This is based on 3 weeks of evidence where he has been soundly beaten each week. In time, he may reverse that trend and may fit into the backline along side both Hurley and Ambrose, but that’s unlikely to happen as long as Dea is performing so well.

2 Likes

WTF? I’m saying he was their BOG not the BOG. Bad English perhaps. Bullshit is not. How many KPFs are their team’s best player in a ten goal loss? Very few. Hartley has battled for 2 weeks in a row. If. Ambrose is fit he’s straight in.

3 weeks in a row. Tabenar gave him a bath in the 2nd half against Freo. Had to move Hurls to him in the end.

1 Like

Harts played his part as well as could be expected, but you’d think that given that next weeks opponent is Jack Riewoldt, that Ambrose would be a better match up if we have that option.

I spoke to Patty briefly at the magoos game on Saturday, and he’s running well, but says it’s up to the coaches and fitness staff as to whether he comes straight back in, or even if he’s considered ready quite yet.

6 Likes

Tabenar belted leuy in the ruck too

You guys are just trying to support a theory based on one stat alone which is Kennedy kicked four goals.

Here are some stats

• Kennedys impact was so minimal is was his lowest Supercoach Score since round 3 and second lowest for the year
  • Exactly the same for Fantasy points
  • Kennedy Averages 13 disposals this season. Yesterday he had 7 (Hartley had 21)
  • Kennedy averages 7 marks this season, yesterday he had 4 (Hartley had 13)
  • Kennedy is number one for contested mark in the comp. Yesterday he had 2 (Hartley had 3)
  • Kennedy’s disposal efficiency was 57, Hartley was 85

I am not going to argue about who was BOG for the Eagles because it doesnt matter. He may have been although there were 12 players rated ahead of him on his own team.

What I am arguing is that you guys either havent see the game or dont know what you are talking about .Hartley beat the best forward in the competition who was made to look a lot better thanks to a couple of cheapies. Yes he kicked four goals but he had bugger all impact on the game. Smashed around the ground. Watch it again.

I am not arguing the previous weeks, especially Taberner who clearly beat him but yesterday he was good and he beat the best KPF in the game right now.

16 Likes

wow

I know who the new whipping boy is.

2 Likes

I dont think Dell is having a go at Hartley he is just saying that out of all the players his spot is under the most pressure especially with Ambrose close to returning.

Kennedy was by far the eagles best player yesterday. I thought Hartley got beaten on the day but it wasnt because he played poorly it was because of a variety of things. The delivery that Kennedy got at stages were lace out perfect. He got a very dodgy free in front of goal as well. Kennedy got on top early but i think Hartley had a very good second half

Hartley was beaten but didnt disgrace himself by any means.

4 Likes

He was very good yesterday. You people are trippin.’

2 Likes