#36 Michael Hartley

My 2 cents…

Thought Kennedy played well, outsmarted Hartley when he was closer to goal, but outside 50 I thought Hartley beat him hands down…

Another step forward, but for me it seems to be a mental issue, the closer to goal the more he ■■■■■ himself?

1 Like

I wonder if Eagles fans are talking about how Barrass kept Joe to only 3 marks? He got a few cheap goals sure, but Barrass clearly won on the day.

5 Likes

Hartley is great pack situation where he can jump at it and spoil. Grappling is not his go, you can see how down he gets giving frees away for holding, but most of the time its on the fast rebound where most defenders wouldn’t stand a chance anyway.

One out he just doesn’t have the size and strength to match forwards like Kennedy, Hawk etc, where as Ambrose and Hurley can.

Harts is an AFL standard defender and is best 22 for us even with Ambrose back, he just frees up Hurls to do his thing.

2 Likes

I wonder if Daniher had more than 7 touches, 3 of which were clangers?

1 Like

You don’t actually think he beat Kennedy, for reals?

Battled hard, fought back well in the second half, wasn’t disgraced by any stretch… Sure, can agree with all that.

But beat him?

5 Likes

Hartley still had 4 kicked on him and basically looked at sea at every 1 on 1

I’m a HUGE fan of his but he’s the first dropped for ambrose

2 Likes

I don’t see how you can’t look at it as one of kennedy’s worst games of the season and he still kicked 4.

Joe does this and we’re singing praises for the new messiah.

Agree its a fair stretch to say he beat Kennedy. I thought he was a little better late, but he makes me nervous one on one. I’d definitely be bringing Ambrose straight back in for Reiwoldt next week. I do like Hartley in the side for his size, but I don’t wanna see Dea make way so i think Harts is the only option to come out.

1 Like

Didn’t look at sea when he outmarked Kennedy on the wing.

1 Like

Indeed. But the ball wasn’t exactly put to Kennedy’s advantage.

Thats why I think he’s a CHB and not a FB, I mentioned earlier he was beaten while inside 50 but outside 50 Hartley beat him hands down…

I think people are overselling the impact Kennedy had on the game.

1 Like

He’s 22 right? And played fark all AFL level footy.

Kinks in his game to be worked out but clearly got a lot to work with.

2 Likes

The counter agrument to that is that the kicks inside 50 where Kennedy marked weren’t put to Hartley’s advantage.

1 Like

Exactly, and Hartley had no answer. I’d be backing Ambrose to make a better fist of halving those contests than Hartley who promptly shat himself in the 1st half and gave away free kicks. He’s tried hard and filled a whole for us for a few weeks but as soon as Ambrose is fit it’s a no brainer for mine.

1 Like

No one is arguing Hartley over Ambrose. It hasnt been said. Can we stop trying to turn it into a debate over the two because there is no question that Ambrose has performed better this year. That is not the argument.

The point is downplaying of how well Hartley did yesterday against one of the best KPFs in the game. He was constantly isolated and did a very good job.

Not sure how much people care about 1%ers. Hartley lead everyone on the field for them yesterday as well. I would say some people have made their mind up on Hartley and are being negative without anything to back it up.

5 Likes

I thought Harts fist half was tentative and he looked a little overawed of Kennedy. His second half, however, was completely different. He backed himself in the contest and around the ground, went for his marks and ran off Kennedy to create an attacking option.

I thought Hurleys whole game was sublime, but then he wasn’t playing on last years Colman Medallist.

4 Likes

Watched KPF kick 4 goals and KPB look all at sea for third week in a row

“Theory”

Rolo this formatting using the > doesn’t work :frowning:

This

1 Like

put a \ before the >