#36 Michael Hartley

Will anyone take him? There was a reason he got delisted from Collingwood and not re-rookied. He’s garbage

1 Like

He is serviceable for a team lacking KPP. He could be more in the right side. He would be good for the dogs.

Hello would you like +1 whipping boy?

He is ■■■■

Scania

Because he was injury prone. But I reckon to be rookied, injured for two years, delisted, play VFL for two years (for a B & F) and then re-drafted and then entrusted with minding the best FF for two seasons must mean there’s something there.

3 Likes

Did Streinberg just grow a bit and dye his hair??

Think we said the same about Hooker at one stage

(I won’t lie, I hav little confidence Hartley will make it)

1 Like

No I didn’t, and I never understood those who did. I think they saw him get run down trying to take a player on every couple of games and then decided he was ■■■■ despite showing good signs defending.

Hartley on the other hand is very limited imo.

Has he found where the gym is yet? Get some muscle spaghetti arms.

Had 2 chances to absolutely kill his opponent and pulled out both times allowing his opponent to mark it uncontested.
How can a bloke his size not know how to spoil the fkn thing

1 Like

I’m sure there’s some doubts internally about him. He was dropped a couple times but was recalled through necessity when Ambrose went down & later Hurley. We had a crack at getting Mackenzie last year, I wonder if we have another go as he’s a FA? Is he an upgrade on Hartley?

nope.

1 Like

Xav mentioned in a radio interview, we are looking for another defender in trade/free agency. Harts might be marginal, but so is Brown,

1 Like

He’s a depth player. The fact we rely on him as much says we lack depth.

I would be open to either of two things (and this has been a change for me): I would pick up Lever if possible, or i would pick up Stringer and move Hooker back.

1 Like

I know AFL player ratings are BS and all that, but do you realise Hartley is rated 7th best player at the club ?

I guess he doesnt stop his opponents marking often enough inside 50, but he IS playing the way Champion Data think a key defender should …

Go figure.

1 Like

Yes, yes they are. So feel free to stop there next time.

6 Likes

Hookers copped it because his decision making with the ball in his hands was fkn diabolical (still is at times) early on but he was not bad defensively and his clunking down back was elite.

3 Likes

Why do you always mention player ratings. It’s based on the last 2 years and for our club, they couldn’t be any more irrelevant.

As for Hartley, with extra quality around him and natural progression, he has no excuse for going backwards this year. Thought we had a good player on our hands last year, but he’s been massively disappointing this season. Looks and plays like a pothead.

As for our the rest of our backline, we had a returned superstar (Hurley), the no.1 draft pick (McGrath), a wily old veteran (Pops), a top notch KPF stopper pre-injury (Ambrose), a big improver (Gleeson), an explosive rebounder (Irish), a tough as nails small stopper (Bags)…and we’re still ■■■■. This tells me we lack something in the coaching department, because the ingredients for a good defense are there. Our midfield don’t do them many favours, but this group lose more 50/50s than a good backline should. Hurls needs to get back to defending and others need to step up in place of McGrath (midfield) and Kelly (retirement), otherwise it will continue to be rubbish next year as well.

5 Likes

Two defenders - one an AA, the other a whipping boy. Could anyone discern a difference between their abilities y/day? Didn’t think so…
Shows how fkn appalling Hurley was…

1 Like