#36 Michael Hartley

Absolutely. I’m not Hartley’s biggest fan but there were plenty worse than him on the weekend. When is the club going to drop a big name player who isn’t performing?

3 Likes

I thought our first outsider coach wouldn’t have favourites but they must form them pretty quickly

1 Like

You find that surprising?
What are the other changes that you feel should be made for Sunday in the midfield?

I personally reckon there is very little - if anything - between Hartley, Ambrose and Brown.

All have different strengths and weaknesses, but as far as what they bring to the team, you could just have them paper-scissors-rock before each game to see who plays, and it wouldn’t make one iota of a difference.

All three are easy targets after a bad loss, too.

10 Likes

Not sure I’d sink the boots into a role player like Harts but he was well beaten by a very average tall setup and he doesn’t bring much else to the table. If you’re a stopper, you’ve got to, you know, stop your opponent.

2 Likes

Yep, it’s time we ask Hooker to genuinely mind an opponent and let someone else do the 3rd man up stuff

Good post

We need Hartley to improve the most though. We need his type of sized defender, badly seeing as though Hurley has now been relieved of all key position duties. Ambrose is too small to play on powerful, tall forwards. He’s suited to your Riewoldt/darling/Walker sized guys, not your franklin/Kennedy/Browns

1 Like

I agree, but I don’t feel Hartley is ‘that guy’. I don’t think he is strong enough. Or has a big enough tank. Or enough ■■■■ in him.

I haven’t completely written him off, but it’ll be interesting to see where his game is at by the end of the year

If he’s nowhere, I’d hope we’ve blooded zerk, and looking at tall defenders in the trade period

2 Likes

Ambrose was always going to replace Hartley, especially with Hooker playing back.

They’re not the same kind of player though, in my opinion, and it is a mistake to think they can do the same job.

based on team selection yesterdays debacle was all this guys fault. that and mason redman may aswell look for a new home now.

Pre last year’s injury, Ambrose was clearly in front of the other 2.
I do agree that right now, it’s hard to split them.

I’m happy that Ambrose gets a gig this week to build some match fitness, as he is a perfect match up for Gunston the following week.

But Hooker can take the really big guys and most teams don’t have 2 of them. Ambrose is better for the slightly smaller guys who run well

I agree.
We need another Hooker coming up.

Hey - Hooker and Hartley are more versatile than Hartley.

yep I am surprised. When guys like zaka are swanning around not picking up a man and not work hard enough defensively- they should be dropped.

If Heppell wasn’t the captain I would drop him as well. His kicking is killing the team

Goddard can fill in for zaka, mcneice can take his spot down back

Mutch for Heppel

Bench of Ridley, Langford,Clarke, Ambrose

1 Like

Is slotting in nicely as the new whipping boy. Get’s the flick whenever we have a poor performance.

He played like garbage, he can have no complaints about being dropped. There were much worse performances from senior players for the day, but they will never get dropped.

Hartley was always going to be the first one to go

1 Like

All the talk from the coach that players will be selected on effort. What an absolute crock Woosha, you can’t even lie honestly. None of this “he’s entitled to game even if he doesn’t turn up to play.” Even the coaches are undisciplined, their talk is just talk, gobblegook! Its no wonder people are disheartened. The supporters are NOT fools. Eventually they will retaliate.

A few weeks ago Darli was talking about expected entitlement from supporters, if the supporters aren’t entitled then nor can the players be. There used to a certain standard required maybe now, its just a free for all. What Goddard is doing is making a stand. Stand with him or p1ss off.