#37 Dylan Alwyn Clarke - at Woodville West Torrens

1 Year is all that was being offered to him. Needs to make his kicking a standard that is acceptable for him to have any future in the AFL.

Is third in the VFL for tackles per game.

Kurt Aylett is fifth at Werribee.

1 Like

Not much going on in this thread.

One glaring weakness but still lots to work with in my opinion.

Fit, relatively agile, can cover the ground at a reasonable pace, racks up high numbers and tackles his heart out.

Can still play a role.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll say it if no-one else will:
Heā€™s hot.

1 Like

Donnington please

2 Likes

Heā€™s no Tayte Pears.

Dont think heā€™ll make it will most likely get delisted or join his brother at North

Thatā€™s going to be hard given heā€™s not there anymore.

1 Like

I think his brother is now at Sydney.

Can see him being an important player in the middle of winter and on the MCG with his engine. Kicking is the flaw but if he models his game on a cunnnington type he can be a very good inside player. Arguably already one of our best stoppage players.
Would love for him to watch some Cunnington tape and Solomon tape. Could be a nutbag midfield beast in years to come.

1 Like

I agree.

If you look at most quality inside beasts in the last ten years none have been particularly great kicks. They all just know how to win the ball at stoppages and get it out by hand and run all day.

He doesnā€™t turn 21 until September so is still very young.

Whether he gets a run with us is yet to be determined but I think he can have a solid AFL career.

I would like to see our future inside midfield as our scruffy hard nut types and have the polish on the outside.
Clarke, Parish, Heppell, Shiel and Stringer getting there knees dirty while giving opposition black eyes from there flying elbows while getting it out to the class of Langford, Merrett and McGrath.

1 Like

Needs to really destroy the VFL comp.

He isnā€™t going to force his way in through upside or potential. He is just going to have to grind away and be better than everyone else until they canā€™t possibly ignore him any more.

2 Likes

Every time I see him play he reminds me of Seb Ross.

Hopefully this year he goes past Myers as that ā€œnext-in-lineā€ fringe team-oriented inside midfielder; heā€™ll have stiff competition from Guelfi, Mutch, Mynott, Begley, Laverde and whoever else I have forgotten.

Hope Dyl gets a run tomorrow, I reckon he could be a handy player if he got a run at it.

Watching him in the VFL practice match at Beaconsfield, its fairly clear that in 2019 he is less tentative about kicking, and he is hitting his targets. At this point he is an ā€œaverageā€ kick, which is a lot better than the below average/poor kick he was when he was drafted. That said, he always looks to handball first.

He is a good scrapper in close, at 187cm is in the same height class as Ross, Kennedy, Higgins, Cunnington, Beams, Rockliff. He is an accumulator, he stands up in packs but lacks break away pace and the power to break tackles, which are now the attributes that would send him to the next level.

I believe he would be next cab off the rank if we need to bring in another mid. Last week, coming off injury, Kobe Mutch was quite a bit down on form.

8 Likes

If Clarkeā€™s lack of break away pace is what would make the transition from VFL to AFL suspect. Wouldnā€™t that same reason make it virtually impossible for Mutch who is slower than slow.

efa

6 Likes

I donā€™t think Clarke makes it, he doesnā€™t have enough weapons and if you are not the elite if the elite inside mids like Cripes then not sure how he gets games over blokes with better skills and speed.

Nick Oā€™Brien mark II for mine.