#37 Dylan Alwyn Clarke - at Woodville West Torrens

Dylan "Arya’ Clarke - just working through his list:

Cripps X
O’Meara X
Gaff
Taranto…

11 Likes

Total reversal: Clarke the mid and Langford banished forward. And both did their job.

(For those watching on telly, Clarke was the post-match interview at the ground, and worthily so.)

2 Likes

102 mins game time, so he was always out there, not always on JOM.

Worsfold said that even though JOM was not getting much ball Hawthorn were still getting through us easily in the first half.

Is great in tight. Strong able to break tackles, win his own footy, dishes of well by hand, and can tag. He adds plenty to the team and enough to stay in the side for sure.
But… his kicking is nothing short of a liability, he knows it, the coaches know it, and players know it. This is the very good reason he has been held back from AFL footy for so long.

Woosh was correct in what he said in the presser, tagging omeara was hurting us more then it was worth. Hawks dominated us at clearances early in the game. Once the tag was removed we started winning clearances.

Good player, a best 22 player, but obvious limitations.

4 Likes

Three games into his career and he’s taken down 2 quality players in Cripps and O’Meara whilst winning plenty of ball himself. JOM still had 24 but was running at about 50% efficiency. He really didn’t hurt us in terms of impact on those possessions. Dyl might be Peverill 2.0?

1 Like

I like him, but the more he handballs over kicks the better we will be. He seems to know it too as do the team mates, so it’s working nicely.

1 Like

Pretty sure he wasn’t on JOM after qtr or half time.

Was with Worpel at one stage after he was tearing us up.

1 Like

His kicking certainly isn’t the best but he literally only had 1 bad kick last night,

every other kick either hit the target perfectly or was out the advantage.

I think his kicking being a major issue is over played imo.

14 Likes

He spent maybe 2/3 of the game on O’Meara. Was possibly our most common of the starting four in the middle.

1 Like

I’d take Clarke’s kicking over the skippers ATM.

19 Likes

It’s the moneyball effect.

Looks ugly as hell but is more efficient than you would think.

4 Likes

Outside of one when we had a man clear on the wing and he missed him so badly it went out on full can’t think of any howlers

He’s going well

And any so so kicking really being completely countered by everything else he contributing

1 Like

I like the comparison

He had 3 turnovers from 6 kicks. His kicking is incredibly limited.

2 Likes

Check Clarkes overall disposal efficiency. 83% which is 6th best in the team. However that came at the expense of metres gained. Theres plenty to work with . Steady improvement is still possible.

1 Like

Cripps (smashed)
Jaeger (smashed)
Next!

Gaff?

Agree in that is was a solid game by Clarke- thought he was actually more influential when moved off O’Meara in terms of his disposals.

As I said pre game I’d rather he had run with Shiels- Jaeger is ridiculously overrated- have a look at his poor efficiency, and when he got most possessions the game was already lost
Whereas in the first half when Hawthorn was in it, it was due to Shiels.
Did Clarke spend any time on him during the third quarter? Hard to tell on TV but stats wise Shiels went quiet from then on.
If so extra kudos to Clarke - it’s hard to switch tags mid game usually

2 Likes

Lets see how he goes on WC3 except we don’t use tags.

Yes, at times Clarke started on Shiels, and was effective at stoppages, but he did not hard tag Shiels and in the first half Shiels and Worpel burned a lot of petrol tickets. Like 20 disposals first half and 10 in the second half.