#37 Dylan Alwyn Clarke - at Woodville West Torrens

Hurley is still a good kick… a very good kick in fact. The problem is not with execution… it’s with the decision making.

He rarely takes the brave option and even when he goes safe he goes slow.

He’s been ■■■■■■■ massive in defence this year… back to his very best but if he handballed to Redman or Saad every time I would be more than happy.

10 Likes

Dont entirely disagree.

He is gripping that ball like he’s wearing oven mitts though.

I think Clarke could become an NFL punter…as even his short passes have a huuuuge amount of ‘hang time’.

2 Likes

On that basis, Dyson Heppell’s definitely got his future mapped out for him then…

3 Likes

I think Hurl’s ball drop doesn’t allow him to consistently hit up precise short 35m or less kicks, so he has become more a long kick on point kick ins, which are easy for opposition to read and set up for.
Not sure why Redman doesn’t kick in more?

1 Like

For those playing further up. This means he’s not a great kick. At 25 metre kick to a teammate 15 metres clear shouldn’t be bouncing in from of them
Consistently.

I’d put him on Shuey.

Guelfi/Zaka onto Gaff

1 Like

Yeah reading into a little too much. He gave even less when questioned about Merrett and there’s no doubt Merrett would be one of his favourite players. He just doesn’t like to focus on individuals.

Irish takes most of the kickins or has until recently.

Hurley is actually our number 1 receiver from kickins and it’s generally in the pocket.

1 Like

LOL. Alwyn has played 3 games. On radio they are talking about Matt De Boer and Dylan Clarke as the top taggers in the AFL ( for example), saying Dylan Clarke has shut down 2 of the games best midfielders in successive games etc etc etc.

Talk about zero to hero in 2 games.

Its my greatest hope that he can get to 50 then 100+ games, not just as a tagger, but a very solid inside mid, maybe even a great one, but jeez, lets not elevate him to the AFL Pantheon just yet !

4 Likes

Clarke already has a nice balance to his game, not only stopping but also accumulating disposals as well.

Deboer doesn’t really need to get much of it considering the guys around him, but it will be important that Dylan is able to contribute in other ways if he wants to be a mainstay.

1 Like

He is insanely strong, a couple of time each week players have really nailed him in the tackle, he doesn’t panic and gets the handball off to a team mate in space, clearly hard to bring down.

12 Likes

He missed a mark on the forward flank in front of us at one point in the game and was clearly in heaps of pain. Must have terrible wrists.

3 Likes

l saw that. At the time l wondered if he had dislocated a finger, then the ball moved on and vision was lost.

1 Like

I think that was a finger injury, probably a dislocation because that can be sorted fairly quickly. Still hurts afterwards, but nothing compared to the pain while it is dislocated.

2 Likes

That was definitely a finger. You can see him shake his hand and grab his finger.

1 Like

Interesting if he’s given a run with role against WC…

Who would you tag? I believe Clarke is better suited to run with more inside mid type players but he probably has an engine that could compete admirably against Gaff’s enormous engine.

Hope he goes straight to Gaff. Shut him out and we are a massive chance

Shuey IMO.

1 Like

Although I’m happy Clarke is in I’m equally angry/ complexed why he didn’t play more last season and early this season.
Clarke hasn’t improved his tank over night, he’s always had it. It’s clear that Heppell couldn’t handle it himself and Myers just doesn’t have it and yet this guy was wasting away in the vfl. We’ve been arguing for 18 months on Langford playing this role and here we are now seeing the exact player we wanted lounging around in our reserves. What he brings and how he complements our mids is extraordinary that he wasn’t playing sooner. The likes of Shiel, Merrett, Parish and Langford can now rotate at a higher intensity because of this tough, defensive endurance animal we have at our disposal. Even the likes of McGrath who is yet to fully jump into the midfield and Smith who is injured can roll through the midfield at a higher intensity going forward.
Mark my words Clarke will be the glue to our midfield for the next decade. Clarke and Heppell will be the defensive endurance mids that allows our speedy highly intense and impactful mids to strive and get our attack flying on all cylinders.
Also was known to have strong leadership qualities and wouldn’t surprise me heading into 2021/22 is included in the leadership group along with McGrath.

14 Likes