#37 Dylan Alwyn Clarke - at Woodville West Torrens

He wouldn’t be used to it!

The kick to McKernan was as good as it gets. Low fast and weighted perfectly. The idea that he can’t kick is starting to look a little outdated.

7 Likes

I think you’re forgetting one

6 Likes

Geez for a bloke that’s kicking isn’t AFL standard according to some on here, that pass to Mckernan in the last was 10/10. I wish some of our elite ball users could nail passes like that.

This kid is a brute around the contest, can lay a serious tackle and actually wrap his opponent up and drive them into the ground, can take a grab and can also shut down the oppositions best player.

For someone that was in the discussion of should he be on the list or not next season just a few months back, it’s now turned into is this young man a lock in our 22 and I think it’s clearly a yes

3 Likes

He’s actually a fair size, I though he was pretty good overhead last night too.

He’s been a great find.

4 Likes

Kelly beat him but he should have gone to Coniglio.

Kelly is a better player than Coniglio but Clarke isn’t suited to playing on a wingman.

If Clarke was on Coniglio he could have used his own ball winning ability around stoppages like he did verse Cripps

1 Like

Elite overhead last night.

Can fly for the ball as shown when he kicked the goal in the goalsquare.

More than a one trick pony.

This is spot on. Alwyn is not fast enough to play on a Kelly, but he does have the tank and strength to run with players as big as Cripps. Against Sydney either Kennedy or Parker are good match ups for him.

1 Like

If this kid gets dropped at all this season I’ll be disappointed, fresh to the scene so some not absolutely excellent games are expected but is a real contributor as noted here

Get more time into him

He definitely didn’t have a bad game.

I agree with above Coniglio was a better matchup.

Next week is his kinda game, only because it’s at the G he will break from those guys into space whilst matching or beating them at the stoppages.

When did he start wearing a helmet?

3 Likes

Gee, it must have all of eight days ago I told this thread he was decent overhead.

6 Likes

But how about the step and angled lace out delivery to Smack ?
I knew his kicking had improved, but wow, not by that much. That was almost, “silk” **

** I would like to see some more like that before using that description seriously !

Let’s not get too excited about his kicking just yet. I’ve never seen a player with a worse ball drop. The kick to Smack was a ripper though.

5 Likes

His position in the side should be absolutely rock solid. Dropping him should not even be discussed at Match selection for the rest of the year. He adds a huge amount of balance to the midfield.

4 Likes

Well summed up. His natural physicality and positioning nous at stoppages helps tip the balance of the scales back in favour of Heppell, Merrett and Shiel.

It rounds out a clear deficit of of hardness in the midfield group.

What he has added defensively to make the good players on the opposition less comfortable is great.

He’s critical now and we’ve looked a much better side since he’s been included.

7 Likes
2 Likes

I stand corrected.

Also, i’m not knocking him. While his kicking efficiency is bad his overall efficiency is very good. He definitely plays within his limitations.

1 Like

Kelly is a ■■■■■■■ star and Clarke lowered his colors to him at several points during the game.

But what player hasn’t at his stage of his career. Fletch had bags kicked on him early on but he was allowed to develop.

Leave the kid in, let him develop. Especially in a year where we aren’t going anywhere.

1 Like

Spot on. He’ll give the handpass unless he has time to concentrate on the kick and he lays a shepard for a quicker bloke to chase down the ball carrier, rather than chase himself.

I reckon he’s a smart footballer… and then I saw his haircut last night…

2 Likes