#37 Dylan Alwyn Clarke - at Woodville West Torrens

Loved Deboer acknowledging Clarke - knows how hard the role is (assuming this wasn’t at Z Clarke)

5 Likes

I don’t think I’ll ever understand the normalisation of trawling through players social media.

4 Likes

Would’ve been ZClarke… both at fremantle together

1 Like

I follow them - it just pops up :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Add omeara to that list.

Only leaves two games with unsuccessful tags - one of which he polled the highest tackle count on ground.

This kid is having a stellar season

And I know it’s a small sample size in terms of games played but he’s currently fourth in the league for average tackles and first is some punter who played one game and layed 8. Been very consistent with his tackling and defensive efforts.

This kid has footy smarts. We can debate his skill level all day (i actually think he can kick, it’s just ugly), but he always seems to make the right decision under pressure. Watch the last 2 minutes and check out his tap to Fantasia when Mckenna kicks it inside 50. It was the only way we could win that ball and he pulled it off. He’s a great contested mark too.

This young man is going to develop into liquid gold. He has found his Niche’. And there’s still a ton of room for improvement. I cannot see him out of our 22 now.

1 Like

Who changed worsfolds mind on tagging?
Rutten, brought in to improve our team defence? Surely not. Use of taggers is contrary to team defence dogma.
Kelly. Who called Clark to give him the job on Cripps?
Worsfold himself. Under pressure and going back to old ideas.?

Or was it Clarke himself doing a great job on Cripps. Making a 1 off into a regular job. ?

Anyway, the problem is now how best to use Clarke if he does not tag.

1 Like

I think Clarke carved out the role for himself by doing such a good job on Cripps. They put him in based on good form, told him to pay close attention to Cripps and he absolutely nailed it. Hard not to use him now. He’s a good clearance player so maybe against Gold Coast they might let him play his own game a little more.

I don’t think much changed

Myers role used to be to try out body/block on oppositions main inside mid and then be used to attack when we had the ball

Issue was he wasn’t doing a good job at either

Clarke is a significant upgrade defensively & is doing enough with ball in hand too.

4 Likes

I liked that mark that he took in the last. The one where he had to jump over the North player.

3 Likes

AFL team of the week choccas full of BB mids. Whilst not massive 187cm, Clarke is a strong unit through the core and thighs, and more like what we have needed to balance out our lighter, smaller mids.

He has to play the rest of the year

2 Likes

Sloane: 20 disposals, 7 tackles, 9 contested disposals, 65% eff
D Clarke: 19 disposals, 6 tackles, 8 contested disposals, 73 % eff

So a 7 gamer broke even with an AA midfielder, what a huge win. I reckon he’s been a huge reason behind our resurgence, regulary beating or breaking even with oppositions most dangerous mids.

34 Likes

I just love the fact we actually have a tagger. Finally! All those years watching our gun mids get shutdown by opposition taggers while we do nothing about theirs. Love how he niggles and doesnt let them loose, but also gets his own ball.

4 Likes

hes just a big boy.
and competes in the midfield.
does the 1% things too.
a couple of times he tackled other players at stoppages leaving sloane free and able to get a easy possesion. He helped us start some chains of play and can provide sone blocks and reduced sloanes influence on the game.

Equal most score involvements for us. Huge again

3 Likes

The new Pevers :smiley:

Will be interesting next week. Do we ask him to tag anyone against the Suns (if so, who?) or do we give him a free rein and see what he can do as an inside mid in his own right, like he did in the vfl? Especially if hepp is rested again, he might be handy in that role.

7 Likes

Freaking gun

@Ivan, where do you get those stats from?