#37 Dylan Alwyn Clarke - at Woodville West Torrens

I like the sound of this kid but for whatever reason it appears to me Dodoro is very reserved when asked about him.

Unfortunately, we don’t have a great success rate with late picks in the ND so hopefully he can buck the trend.

James Hird ( Pick 79 1990 draft ) wishes to be remembered to you!

26 drafts ago.

Orazio, brown, Hartley, etc would be more relevant.

If you look at the others that people have raised, what stands out is that our successes generally have come from maturer aged players. How many U18 late picks have we taken that have come off?

From the ND, only Orazio, Hooker, Gleeson come to mind.

You keep moving the goal posts…

Kind of tough judging Dodoro and co. based on really late draft kids. I mean, they’re late in the draft for a reason.

There were 14 players from this years’ Grand Final from the rookie list. G is right. The late picks can make your list and give you an advantage on the field.

That would be moving the goal posts again, since he said ND. If we’re adding PSD and rookie draft, you add Walla, Hibberd/Crameri/Jenkins (not Dodoro’s fault their gone), Howlett, Belly and Baguley to the list. Combined with the above Gleeson, Hooker, Raz, Hartley and Brown, that’s a pretty good strike rate.

On the ND, in the 2013 to 2015 drafts we only had four picks after 50 across the three. We got Raz, Hartley and Brown from that, with the only (potential) miss being Eades. So our recent form is pretty good. Even in 2012 with Van Unen (51), Gleeson (53) and Kommer (73), that wasn’t too shabby either.

Our biggest issue is retention (Crameri, Hibberd, Jenkins), and hopefully that is now fixed.

Whether players are mature age recruits or 18 year olds shouldn’t matter.
If you can consistently get three to five years of footy out of two of your picks after pick 40, then you’re on your way to building a good list. These players aren’t likely to be superstars, but they will form a solid group of players to remain competitive.
But each team needs a point of difference. These guys usually come from your top twenty picks.
Interesting comment from Dylan Clark who ran a 14.3 beep test and was 3rd in the draft combine 3km time trial with a 9.50 something. He is in the top 5 fittest kids in the draft. "....Our first footy session went for about half an hour before all the younger boys were blowing up heaps. The intensity they train at and the speed of all the drills is something we couldn't really have dreamed of doing before we got here so it's all something we have to adjust to...."

Why is that so interesting? If that wasn’t the case there would be very serious problems in our training at elite level. What he found is exactly what you would expect.

Exactly.

I remember why Scully went to Melbourne they were raving about how he was already the fittest at the club. I thought it was such and indictment on their club and they were raving. We all know how that turned out.

When Ambrose came to the club, did an elite 16.3 beep test and won the time trial first up people around the club like Timmy Watson etc were raving about him. No way I regarded it as an indictment on the clubs training methods. Did you Nocturnal?

Just because a freak athlete or football player comes along once in a while it doesnt downgrade everyone else on the list and the support staff at the club.

Interesting comment from Dylan Clark who ran a 14.3 beep test and was 3rd in the draft combine 3km time trial with a 9.50 something. He is in the top 5 fittest kids in the draft. "....Our first footy session went for about half an hour before all the younger boys were blowing up heaps. The intensity they train at and the speed of all the drills is something we couldn't really have dreamed of doing before we got here so it's all something we have to adjust to...."

Why is that so interesting? If that wasn’t the case there would be very serious problems in our training at elite level. What he found is exactly what you would expect.

Exactly.

I remember why Scully went to Melbourne they were raving about how he was already the fittest at the club. I thought it was such and indictment on their club and they were raving. We all know how that turned out.

When Ambrose came to the club, did an elite 16.3 beep test and won the time trial first up people around the club like Timmy Watson etc were raving about him. No way I regarded it as an indictment on the clubs training methods. Did you Nocturnal?

Just because a freak athlete or football player comes along once in a while it doesnt downgrade everyone else on the list and the support staff at the club.

There is also the issue of an endurance athletes body vs an AFL body, in recent times they have become more close. We have all heard how players like Scarlett and Fletch (was over 100kg) had to lose kgs to keep up with the game, when it changed from the Lockett, Dunstall, and Fevola beast mode. Lloydy lost weight too and did a lot more running, but as we know him leaving the forward arc wasn’t a happy experience.

So it isn’t entirely surprising that some athletic lighter framed 18YOs can out run bigger bodies. But it does underline what a freak Rambose is, and also how hard Cale Hooker must work to keep his large frame relatively mobile.

So how did this kid go in the intra club?

I didn’t really notice him at all, but considering I watched it on a phone that’s not unexpected.

I didn’t really notice him at all, but considering I watched it on a phone that’s not unexpected.

I saw him get a few touches. He looks good but his kicking still needs work. He tried kicking it to Zerrett at one point but it rolled out to the boundary line before he could get to it

I saw him get a few touches. He looks good but his kicking still needs work. He tried kicking it to Zerrett at one point but it rolled out to the boundary line before he could get to it

The wind made things difficult even for some of the players who are normally good kicks, for instance BeeJ kicked the ball oob twice.

The wind made things difficult even for some of the players who are normally good kicks, for instance BeeJ kicked the ball oob twice.

I will add to this. The problem with Dylan Clarkes kicking seems to be more about how incredibly awkward it looks, and the lack of distance. I have not seen any more clangers from him than from any other player in the practice games whereas I have seen him hit targets I50 several times. But as to his clearance / contested work he needs to get used to the level, because he is not dominating stoppages yet, even though his body is pretty much AFL ready.

Fwiw, it’s probably been already written here somewhere…Clarke scored 24/30 in the combine kicking efficiency test.
Rank was 7, behind Riddles @#1 with 27/30.
His issue I expect might be the speed of the game which may mean his slow style gives an opponent a chance to reduce his efficiency via tackles/smothers etc.

Yes, he appears to be the anti-Zerrett when it comes to time taken to get boot to ball. Still like the look though, awkward kicking styles can still be effective if the rest of your game is high quality.

Hardest part is winning your own footy he does this easy. Should attach himself to Jobes hip.

Hardest part is winning your own footy he does this easy. Should attach himself to Jobes hip.
I don't think Virginia would like this.

Dylan played on the wing against the Suns it would seem. Puzzling. Contested ball is supposed to be his forte.
He was OK.
Anyway. 11 disposals off 66% tog equivalent to about 15 disposals for a full game at 90% tog . For kicking efficiency he was 9th running at 81% incl 1 clanger which tends to dispel the knock on his kicking. Clearly he picked his targets and executed OK.

Lets see how he goes in the the VFL.

I don't think Virginia would like this.

You never know

Dylan played on the wing against the Suns it would seem. Puzzling. Contested ball is supposed to be his forte. He was OK. Anyway. 11 disposals off 66% tog equivalent to about 15 disposals for a full game at 90% tog . For kicking efficiency he was 9th running at 81% incl 1 clanger which tends to dispel the knock on his kicking. Clearly he picked his targets and executed OK.

Average TOG is around 82%, not 90% in the AFL.
Dylan played on the wing against the Suns it would seem. Puzzling. Contested ball is supposed to be his forte. He was OK. Anyway. 11 disposals off 66% tog equivalent to about 15 disposals for a full game at 90% tog . For kicking efficiency he was 9th running at 81% incl 1 clanger which tends to dispel the knock on his kicking. Clearly he picked his targets and executed OK.

Yeah was odd sort of a game.

Look forward to watching him this year in the VFL

You think the knocks on his kicking were dispelled in a game when he kicked the ball three times, one of which was a clanger? His kicking action looks pretty awkward to me.

You think the knocks on his kicking were dispelled in a game when he kicked the ball three times, one of which was a clanger? His kicking action looks pretty awkward to me.

Could be a Swann and running thing, looks bad but effective, he did ok in the kicking at draft camp too.

Could be a Swann and running thing, looks bad but effective, he did ok in the kicking at draft camp too.

He was said to be a crap kick by draft experts, and the club when we drafted him. Let’s not pretend he’s something that he is not. He’s got plenty of other great attributes to get excited about, and he may well become a good kick in time. At the moment his kicking is an obvious weakness. There is no way he would have gone so late in the draft if it wasn’t.

1 Like

When he kicks he makes kicking look painful.

Average TOG is around 82%, not 90% in the AFL.
Except actual games are at least 90/82 longer than these practice games.