#37 Dylan Alwyn Clarke - at Woodville West Torrens

The other thing is, if/when he does get a go at AFL level, play him in the guts!! I don’t think he’s going to be useful anywhere else.

4 Likes

Langford excels at VFL level playing along side Clarke for that very reason. We have no one in the seniors that digs the ball out to take the heat off the other mids.

Langford is being asked to play that role when he is more the second possession/distributor than can also win clearances off hands.

Clarke in my opinion should replace Myers and Langford be getting an opportunity playing along side that type of player not given the responsibility of playing the Myers role whenever he is injured.

1 Like

Really admire the way Clarke is going about it as Adrian has said he is an animal in the contest.

His kicking was ok however I think the thing that needs to be factored in is at the top level he will get considerably less time to dispose of the ball and I’m still unconvinced the action will stand up if I’m honest.

4 Likes

Yep, time will tell on that one.

The one thing that should help his cause is the fact that we have no guenuine inside bull in the side so theoretically he should be handballing a lot more at senior level because there are far more stoppages and far more numbers around the contest.

If he plays within his limitations he should be fine.

The kid is going to be a beasr.
Runs all day as well.

Cant wait to see him get a chance

images

1 Like

Agree. I think that initially his best disposal will come by hand. Kicking will get there in time.

Quite shocked at the size of him already. Serious pipes.

If they use him the right way he should be fine.

The opposition will most likely try to sit off him to make him kick when in transition but if he shanks it occasionally he won’t be alone at our club.

Around the contest he will help us a lot.

I love how many efforts he puts in. He’s a beast.

1 Like

His disposal by hand is much better than by foot, but as an in and under player, thats the way he will be most damaging. When he takes a free his kicking will be OK.

Jobe Watson barely kicked in his first few years and it was rubbish when he did, but his hands were sublime

4 Likes

First I have seen of him live, and was impressed.

2 Likes

Wait… What happened to never hearing anything?

1 Like

First time I’ve seen him live this year. He’s fixed his kicking and is only going to improve. Already ahead of Mutch imo

5 Likes

Unpopular opinion - I think he’ll need more time. His game style is bash and crash and he hasn’t got the body to do that at afl level. It was noticeable he couldn’t break the tackles of older afl-bodied mids today, and he didn’t always have the strength to make his stick. He HAS to bash through, he can’t slow dance through traffic like Jobe, and his vision & handball range aren’t anything like jobe’s either. His kicking has improved, but I think it’s been done by rebuilding his action, and it’s still a bit mechanical for him. This means his action is slow (until his new action becomes instinctive) and he’s vulnerable while kicking .

I rate him highly and have since his u18 year, but if he’s going to play in the ones I want him to play his natural game in his best position, and he hasn’t got the body for that yet.

10 Likes

Loike.

It certainly looks like it. Ball drop looks completely different

1 Like

I definitely wouldn’t call him light. Has big shoulders.

1 Like

For his pace/agility, and the style of game he’ll be playing, I reckon it’s a reasonable enough call?
I spotted 2 or 3 slipped tackles by him in the last quarter, fair enough you’d be tired at that point, but that’s not going to be hidden in the AFL

I’m still not that impressed by him. He gets the ball a lot… that’s about it.
Apparently Langford is on a constant loop of “yeah well he was best on, but we need to see that another 5-6 times before we’re sure”. Clarke’s in that bucket for me.

1 Like

Good to hear (see) your opinion HM, especially how it compares now to his U18 year.
I want him to get a go this year at some point and hope he shows something. If it’s only 3 or 4 games that might be enough to highlight to him what he needs to work on.
Hopefully in the meantime Myers can keep up last week’s form.

1 Like