#37 Nic Martin - all of the extension, pls

No way he leaves bombers for that mob. They had an opportunity and ■■■■■■ it. Plus they’re a rabble. Coke heads

3 Likes

They’ve overlooked him several times already. I’m pretty sure they told him he wasn’t fit enough. Laughable now.

4 Likes

Goals have dried up, but he is still playing good footy.
Stats wise Richmond game second best of the year for him
Helped by our chip and mark game as well I guess.

He is playing higher up the ground this year though. He’s kind of been replaced in the Forward-line by an extra small forward (Menzie + Davey/Tippa vs 2022’s Guelfi). That would explain his goals drying up a bit.

2 Likes

Durham & Martin should have a tackle competition. Some kind of personal bet to see who can stick the most tackles in a game. I would encourage that if I were their line coach. I reckon it would make them both better players. Add Perkins to that.

4 Likes

Well he acted on that “advice” and put in the work.

4 Likes

Agree. Their lack of fitness advice it what motivated him to go out and improve his fitness, which led directly to him being at EFC.

3 Likes

I don’t think West Coast are in a position to be handing out any first/second round picks considering they haven’t even started their rebuild. They need as many early picks as possible.

2 Likes

He’s on track for ~15 goals this season. For a wing/mid, that’d be a solid output.

1 Like

The number of players in the team now with accurate disposal is IMO what has lead to us being able to play the uncontested mode we used against Richmond without an unacceptable level of turnovers.
( the number of inaccurate passes in that game is right on the point of making that game style marginal)

But 2 of Martins missed passes I50 came at a key point in the game in Q4, when we were getting lots of repeat entries, but with most being intercepted, which was frustrating at the time.

Ironically, they sent Durham forward off the wing in Q4 and he kicked accurately, while they kept Martin on the wing, presumably because they expected him to be a better I50 kick than Durham.

1 Like

I actually think it’s because Durham is a better mark and Martin is a better accumulator of the ball. I saw the same thing, we missed several passes in the last 5 min that could have cost us the game. Only Cotchin hit a target inside 50m in the last few min. Let’s be honest, Mansell’s miss OOF from 30m out on a slight angle is a 1/100 event. We won because we didn’t give up, but also because of a crap load of luck.

15 Likes

This absolutely. We’re also lucky Tippa missed his snap late in the last too, otherwise we’d probably be looking at a draw.

1 Like

The harder you work, the luckier you get. And Essendon worked their tails off vs Richmond.

So yeah, it was a factor, but we deserved the luck we got.

10 Likes

Had Mansell kicked that goal, we would have lost. But yes we worked our butts off and that miss makes up for the non-mark that they took and got a goal with.

5 Likes

Same thing last year with Jones against the Filth. He had the chance to ice the game and missed what everyone, including his team mates, thought would be a monty. They swept the ball up the field because we were so disorganised and won the game. Just nice to not be on the receiving end this time.

5 Likes

West Coast can get ■■■■■■.

1 Like

Even accounting for the go home factor, why in the world would any player want to go to West Coast?

2 Likes

This is an extremely common misconception that gets touted all the time.
Every single action and outcome for the entirety of the game is as equally important to the final result. A ‘last goal’ is not a ‘winning goal’. A ‘poster on the siren’ does not lose you the game. And so on.
There are results of actions transpiring throughout a game that may effect the proceeding time remaining - for example - ‘scoreboard pressure’ and how that effects the rest of the game.
But this ‘winning/losing’ last kick stuff is very shallow media rubbish.

8 Likes

I disagree, the last kick comes with much more pressure than every other goal or action. Yes every action throughout the game adds up, but when games are there to be won or lost that’s when the class comes to the top.

I always felt Martin was a classy ball user, but that last quarter has changed my opinion somewhat.

Not surprised :slight_smile:

1 Like