#38 Cody Brand

Matched the bid from the doggies!

You could say it’s a tall fest…

1 Like

Just give him #31 already.

5 Likes

I am glad we matched it, but geez we took our time!

1 Like

Welcome to Essendon to our next fullback, Cody Brand. The position is there, waiting for you to make it your own. Go for it young man.

Didn’t think we could match anymore after we passed our last pick. Maybe they changed the rules at some point? Glad they did, should be able to.

Anyone know how points work? We don’t lose out on any points for next year do we?

I’m guessing that they would have liked Brand on the rookie list to give us an extra selection at the mid-season draft (which should be stacked with gems that slipped through).

8 Likes

Definitely took their time

But if the trade off was allowing someone we know well, and rate highly as a person and player (even if we had hoped could rookie) vs letting those fkn kents get him & he becomes a 200game player you pick him.

3 Likes

I like that this guy offers a point of difference to almost all of our other key defenders (excluding Ambrose) - he’s a legitimate stopper, who will defend first and foremost.

I don’t think he’ll ever have an amazing highlight reel but we’ll have done our research on him and he might just be a steal that late in the draft.

8 Likes

I suspect that the recruiters are aware that the strong draft in 2021 favors midfielders which EFC will target,hence the decision to take a 4th tall in Brand.

2 Likes

Woosha had been saying for years that we have to discover our brand.

28 Likes

Plus when you consider how much longer big men take to come on its probably not a silly thing that we did draft them.

I think we will have another massive go at Dunkley next off season. I just hope he nominates us again.

1 Like

Hopefully his is a combination of Grimes & Astbury.

Welcome Cody! Fletch mark2! Excellent!

Pick No.53: Cody Brand

Boyhood Bomber and Essendon NGA member Cody Brand has his dream come true.

8 hrs

Boyhood Bomber Cody Brand has had his dream come true, joining Essendon via pick No.53 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft.

The Bombers chose to match the Western Bulldogs’ bid for the key defender, who was tied to the club through its Next Generation Academy.

Brand’s connections with Essendon run deep.

Modelling his game on Dustin Fletcher, he soaked up knowledge from the club legend with his school side at Essendon Grammar, where Fletcher oversees the backline.

He also developed under the tutelage of fellow ex-Bomber Heath Hocking in the James Hird Academy (JHA), joining the JHA in 2018.

Like his idol Fletcher, Brand is a shutdown defender who competes strongly in the air.

The 196cm product impressed as a bottom-ager in the NAB League last year, averaging 7.9 disposals and 2.5 rebound 50s across 10 games for the Calder Cannons.

He also showed his versatility, adding three goals.

Brand’s impressive efforts saw him selected as one of just 48 talented draft prospects to play in the NAB AFL All Stars curtain-raising match ahead of the Grand Final at the MCG.

He also earned the opportunity to train with Essendon’s senior side alongside fellow Bombers NGA member and No.39 pick Josh Eyre for a week in December last year.

Cody Brand on the track with the seniors in December last year. (Photo: Essendon FC)

Proud of his Indigenous roots through his grandfather, who moved to Victorian from the Ben Lomond nation in Tasmania, Brand joins a club which has a rich and long-standing Indigenous history.

CODY BRAND AT A GLANCE:

Position: Key defender
Team: Calder Cannons/Vic Metro
Height: 196cm
Weight: 87kg
DOB: May 23, 2002
Key strengths: Marking, competitiveness, booming right foot

This news is brought to you by Orchard HRO , the club’s official recruitment and list management partner.

Next year, watch out for us recruiting that young midfielder, Learnings.

8 Likes

give him number 31 at least to mess with the old timers.

2 Likes

spot on. Next year we trade for a mid and pick up a couple of quality mids in the draft and we setup for 2023/24

1 Like

Also the fact we’ve picked up a former pick 11 midfielder in Caldwell who is still only 20.

Matt Rendell rated him pick 15 - 17. Make of that what you will but fingers crossed he might be a dimond in the rough.

3 Likes

Copied over:

2 Likes