Big Sammy Draper - #1 ruckman now #2

And tap a bit further away than Clarke’s foot.

Are you saying Clarke is short?

His head not far enough away from his foot?

1 Like

Will be a very good player for us.
I think Reboot’s timeframe is spot on.

Very excited for this kid.

Bland Drapage?

I would add to that:

2019 — A few senior games

1 Like

Gotta play a few games next year surely. Otherwise he might get restless and start searching around.

1 Like

Leuey has retired and Sam’s time is now ! Had a great season developing in the twos and both Adelaide and Port were sniffing at the end of the season. It’s time to upgrade and change his 2019 deal into a new 3 year deal.

4 Likes

Happy if the club invests that time into him, but he’s still not ready for AFL football. A more ready-made ruck has to come in during the draft or as a Delisted Free Agent.

2 Likes

Not ready yet because of ability, or strength, or rucking nous or tank? Or all of the above?
And by ready I mean to have a game or two in case of Belly needing to be rested.

He has all of those Doe. It’s the rest that is missing. Knowing where to be and when to be there, reliability and consistency of certain skills, etc. He’s learning very fast, but he’s not there yet. He would get belted by a decent AFL ruckman at the moment. Next year for Sammy.

5 Likes

I’ve watched him a fair bit at Windy Hill. Tapwork is great, but he’s Bambi on ice. Lacks strength, especially in the legs. He finds the ball OK if he’s within proximity, say at clearances, but around the ground he’s a non-factor. He just needs to know where to run and read the play, but that will come in time. He’s not bad when he’s up forward. He just needs another pre-season or 2 to get his body up to AFL standard, and get a bit more experience, but the raw materials are there…

4 Likes

Disagree. It would be different if he’s expected to be #1 ruck, but he’s back-up. Someone point me to an available player who would be a materially better back-up than Draper, so we’re not just wasting a list spot?

4 Likes

Still working on his positioning during the game and he’s loving the challenge

3 Likes

Several comments along the lines of “ Not ready yet - just needs another preseason”
Conveniently forgetting he’s about to have one.

I’d argue more young players make a leap over preseason than during the year ( eg Conor’s leap up between 2017 & 2018 is more common than Langford’s slow burn)

So let’s see how Draper is tracking come practice games before categorically saying he’s not ready.

12 Likes

Big pre-season for Draper coming up (as it is for everyone truth be told). Sounds like the more match game simulation he can do the better.

ha - what windsockboy just said

Boot says he’s good to go for 2019!!

5 Likes

Very good.

I only called him as a better tap ruckman in year one than Ryder was, saw almost all of his games this year, partially sponsored him after Blitz as a whole dropped the bundle again, and just won the lucky draw on the signed jumper: so I’ll not impose my opinion on this thread.

14 Likes

180+ taps in 3 VFL Finals tells me he is progressing very nicely! He may even be the missing pice of the puzzle. He will be more than adequte as No 2. ruck next season. Sammy is a keeper !

1 Like