Former #39 Patrick Voss - false messiah

Blue plate is 20kg. Red 25kg, yellow 15kg, green 10kg, black 5kg.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Voss was the strongest pound for pound. If not him, my money is on Laverde.

3 Likes

Stewart by a mile

1 Like

I’d need a helium balloon between my legs….

13 Likes

Not following you Nifty Nev but this question better suited for the Voss thread obviously

Not picking a fight here but apart from vision of a clumsy and aggressive tackle (highlights package) that would be a free kick at afl level, and a mean head, what exactly is all the fuss about Voss? Feels like we’re attaching minor cult status to bloke who hasn’t really done much. Was he impressive at VFL level this year?

2 Likes

I think the answer is obvious.

3 Likes

I didn’t follow the vfl and forgot he was even on the list until recently when there seems to have been a bit of fresh excitement. So just false hopes and all that? Has a cool haircut and lifts a bit?

Says he likes to hurt people
Has the crazy eyes
Loves a snag

12 Likes

Is that the tackle somebody said would be a free kick in the AFL? Would it? I hope not.

1 Like

So he’s probably going to break someones neck. The other vision from u18’s showed a similar tackle iirc. Rugby background? 19 from 11 games is alright, averaged about 10 possies at VFL level. Anyone who watched vfl in 22, what sort of player is he, how does he compare to Baldwin for instance? I want to have another player to get excited about, what’s his potential?

No, pretty sure I saw u18 footage. Was closer to a spear, but not knocking the aggression. Fine line bw aggressive and dumb though

1 Like

Memes aside, his point of difference is his aggressive attitude that is sorely lacking on the main list. Nobody is saying he’s going to win the Coleman, but he is a different flavour to what we’re used to and people like that

9 Likes

Sure, and I suspected that but was curious whether he’d consistently applied those traits to the actual game or not. I’m gonna go with a nice surprise if he makes the leap to afl. I guess that’s most of our forwards at this point.

3 Likes

He needs to work on consistency and fitness, but if he can manage that he will be a presence in the F50. It’s fun to watch a bloke who says he loves using his physicality and actually backs that up in practice

2 Likes

I don’t think fitness is really an issue for Voss. Even after his injury, he was often having an impact late in games.

It’s really just about finding ways to stay involved consistently through all 4 quarters. If he can sort that out, he’s got a real chance at becoming a very handy AFL player. Hopefully having a better VFL midfield will help him in that regard.

3 Likes

Yeah he looked better by end of the season but is probably not ready to run for 4 quarters at AFL level. Couple more preseasons under Scott and he’ll be scary

1 Like

I’ve watched a bit of him from the couch this year.

FWIW my opinion is that he shows a bit. Probably needs more fitness and will benefit from development coaching in 2023.

He can run, mark, tackle and kick OK and can hit the scoreboard. He’s vigorous and mobile for a medium/tall.

I wonder if he could develop the skills to be a HFF/Midfield? His physicality would be a point of difference in the midfield.

For mine, it comes to footy smarts, can he pick up running patterns, game strategy etc…

He’ll need to show a bit in 2023 to stay on the list, but he does have some stand out traits.

Not vanilla.

8 Likes

I don’t think so. There was another one where he was in possession in the forward pocket, was in a bit of space, but made a point of running toward an oppo player and fending them off (quite effectively IIRC, they ended up sitting down) before disposing of the ball. The fend off was a tad high. Dustin Martin would get away with it, someone in an Essendon jumper would not.

Yes. He was impressive.
Obviously faded in and out of games somewhat (not much of a surprise there for a 1st year player), and didn’t always find enough of the ball (ditto).
One thing that struck me that hasn’t been talked up much yet was his set-shot kicking. I guess I was expecting something like an Ambrose (love ya Paddy) - something crude, unrefined to go with his attack on the man/ball/whatever else gets in the way. But from what I’ve seen, albeit a pretty small sample size this guy is sharp; kicked a few great goals from very acute angles and decent range.

9 Likes

Appreciate it, sounds like some decent clay to work with. Good to have some width as well as height in the cupboard for a change.

2 Likes

He hit the scoreboard more this year than I was expecting.

He kicked 19.8 from 11 VFL games.

In comparison:

Baldwin kicked 24.5 from 11 VFL games.

The Weed kicked 15.17 from 11 VFL games.

With Voss, he shows signs that all the rough stuff / tough guy antics, is just a bonus. He can also play footy.

19 Likes