Former #39 Patrick Voss - false messiah

That’s fine, just giving my opinion in response

Lovely

Melt time. Not picked

It’s just kinda baffling at this point that you wouldn’t want to at least see what this guy can offer in the AFL.

Would add a completely different aspect to the forward line.

1 Like

Well, it was the perfect game to pick him, instead of taking older players coming back from injury

1 Like

I would have probably not debuted him in WA either unless we had lost a forward

Give him a debut where his family and friends can easily attend

The coaching group probably still wants him to develop certain deficiencies in his game before they give him a berth in the AFL side. Brad Scott has said, that the goal is that once a player enters the AFL side, they will remain in the best 22 for quite some time. This would indicate that there is still some development left for Voss before he’s considered a regular best 22.

2 Likes

Crikey! Interesting way to blood a new player.

1 Like

C Section for Voss…

The selection panels have probably had a permanent epidural to the brain to have not selected Voss.

FFS sigh. FFS

We have heard that line trotted out on Blitz every week, since before the season started. If Voss doesn’t play by next round, it will ring false. Jones gone for the rest of the season, the team is crying out for another KPF to mark and crash packs etc.

3 Likes

Looks like it is 2024 for Voss as when Wright comes back Voss will definitely not be in the 1s.

I reckon they’ve looked at Van Rooyen and how the Dees handled and introduced him this season and taken a leaf out of that development book. Very similar age, same draft, height, weight and forward type of player. Van Rooyen has just come on quicker and was ready.

BDB can obviously see things he wants him to improve in Vossy before setting him for a full debut vs the right opposition. Could be late this season or next year.

I’m getting a bit impatient too but v sure Voss is a hellyva lot more. Keep working, marking, leading, kicking straight and bringing his energy. He’ll defintely get his big chance to shine if he does these every single week, given what we’re seeing.

7 Likes

JVR was also a first round draft pick IIRC with far more football background than Voss

Who had a rugby background, and been in GWS academy. had settled nowhere in a position afl footy wise. Draft profile was utility who could play back, mid, fwd. passed over by GWS & we rookie listed him.

He’d have had a lot to learn about being a fwd, this despite hitting scoreboard regularly when he had had his chance to settle fwd in VFL

Good pick up.

2 Likes

Its all well and good him needing to work on whatever he needs to work on, but we get too focused on what someone cant do rather than what they can. I mean, what 19 year old key forward is anywhere near complete?

This whole he’s gotta play VFL until he’s ready to come in and not go out (which Scott has said about a couple of players, reid and cox etc) is just a sh*t excuse. Davey is miles off senior footy and he’s played most games this year, so that thinking doesnt really cut it with me

In a development year, if your going to give free passes on form like they have with say, jones, tippa and davey then it makes very little sense to not give a look at a kid like voss, who can probably consider himself unlucky a few times

12 Likes

I guess the difference would be if Davey is doing absolutely everything that’s being asked of him, then he ticks the box for selection, regardless of form, hence development year. If Voss finds himself parked near goal too often instead of running patterns for a full game, then you don’t reward him with selection yet.

1 Like

I hardly doubt he’s doing everything asked of him though, thats why both have been dropped this year. Davey has so, so much work to do, and so does voss but one’s been given the opportunity for at least a taste, whilst the other hasn’t

Its not the be all and end all, but i thought itbwould have been a good opportunity to give him a opportunity this week

6 Likes

You could make an argument that voss was the best performed KP on the ground from his limited TOG vs GC preseason. On the back of that He really should have been given a look against the saints the following week. That he wasn’t has set the tone for the year.

I suspect Scott formed a pretty clear idea of who was in the frame for selection and who wasn’t over the preseason and has been reluctant to shift from those positions. I suspect Bryan has been fighting to get out of that box too. I’d defer to our training watches obviously but I don’t recall either featuring significantly is dispatches. Both have really elevated their standing once the real stuff started.

I would have been perfectly happy to pick voss off the back of his early season numbers when Jones and weid were trading places with injury in the early rounds

2 Likes