Ex #39 Trent Mynott - you’re cut

Hopefully hes still available to take with one of our rookie picks in this years draft.

In the 5 or 6 games I went to this year, Mynott was not at all influential. In fact to the point of being fairly invisible ( maybe he was actually not playing in those games), so those stats do surprise me. However I am willing to concede I was watching Mutch, Clarke and Francis more closely, and I dont think Mynott was given much of a go in the middle in the games I watched, he seemed to be playing a half forward role. I dont recall Mynott being mentioned in the bests for us until last week.

There must be a reason that " an elite inside clearance player with elite agility ended up as #11 rookie pick.

That was just Bewick’s opinion. Naturally any coach talks up his players.

FWIW…

First practice match:

“39 Mynott — reasonably impressed with him during his stints on ball. Went in hard and got it out.”

Second practice match (in torrential rain):

“Mynott has gone straight into the midfield for his first two games (and mostly, in the square, not the wing) and beating bigger older more experienced people. Small sample, but he looks like a very good pickup.”

2 Likes

Mynott had a crew cut a few games in, and everyone thought he had disappeared.

3 Likes

He isn’t quick, his agility test makes him look quicker than he is. His 20m sprint results where very poor which is the main issue clubs had, was the same with Constable sliding and Dylan Moore going late.

1 Like

Were you surprised when Mynott suddenly bobbed up as our best player last week ?
If not, Dave, I will get my hat.
Either way, its great that he has achieved that distinction.

I know b’n’f results aren’t everything but both Mutch and Clarke finished high last year and were highly influential throughout the year.

I don’t mind Mynott but he hasn’t been anywhere as good as the other two in my opinion.

1 Like

I am rarely surprised by the VFL “best” players :slight_smile:

I named no midfielder in our bests given Geelong had 60% of the inside fifties. But I did see and report him doing a few slick things, unlike his counterparts.

Guy is hard at it inside despite his slight size, and has consistently demonstrated he has some party tricks.

In the middle of the year he had a bit of a slump combined with a hair cut, which killed his mentions just like with HepA last year. He also had a few weeks off (a la Houlahan and Bezerk Thatcher) to rest/build himself up.

3 Likes

Do you happen to know the 20m sprint results for all of Mynott, Mutch, Clarke?

Because I’ve been pinning my hopes to Mynott out of the three, just due to a (perhaps misguided) impression that he is the quickest of that bunch!

Edit post google search
McGrath: 20m Sprint = 3.02secs, Agility = 8.38secs, 3km TT = 10:42, Beep Test = 13.1, Repeat Sprint = 24.44secs
Ridley: 20m Sprint = 2.99secs, Agility = 8.41secs, 3km TT = 10:58, Beep Test = 13.5, Repeat Sprint = 26.18secs
Begley: 20m Sprint = 3.01secs, Agility = 8.58secs, 3km TT = 10:39, Beep Test = 13.8, Repeat Sprint = 25.85secs
Clarke: 20m Sprint = 3.11secs, Agility = 8.75secs, 3km TT = 9:52, Beep Test = 14.12
Mynott: 20m Sprint = 3.22secs, Agility = 8.20secs, Yo-Yo Test = 21.2
Mutch: 20m Sprint = 3.19secs, Agility = 8.98secs, 3km TT = 10:15

2 Likes

What the frigs a yo yo test

Ridley faster than mcgrath! I like it!

1 Like

Walking the dog, cradle, around the world ect.

11 Likes

Just on the those tests in the lead up
To McGrath’ dradt there was a view that his body needed a rest and he hadn’t tested as well as recruiters knew he could.

Yo yo test has replaced the beep test as an endurance test

Yep it’s meant to simulate the stop/start running style of AFL games

Beep test.

1 Like

8 Likes

Must have found some left over good stuff

3 Likes

Paging Gerard Healy

6 Likes