Ex #39 Trent Mynott - you’re cut

Yeah, he definitely needs more time to develop his size for it. And you’d know more than most about his junior play. I just hope when he isn’t in the senior team, in the VFL they are allowing him to develop as a genuine ball winner and not a winger.

1 Like

I said at the start of the year that it would be disappointing if we played him on the wing again this year, you see Clarke’s numbers grow significantly this year when given the midfield time and if Mutch is given the same amount of time next year with added size he will be banging down the door every week.

If anything I could see him becoming a mini Tom Mitchell with his natural ball winning and workrate. Mitchell isn’t super quick or an elite kick but he just runs and runs all day and he runs hard
Both ways, nothing stopping Mutch from becoming that type of player once he puts on more size.

4 Likes

Oi…leave it to the tried and true punsters, buddy!

PS you’re promoted to “tried and true punster” and thus attract the ire of those without wit or sense of humour.

2 Likes

I don’t know about Mutch being a mini Tom Mitchell, he is about 5cm taller and already would have him covered for weight, in proportion, Mutch needs 4 or 5 kg, but that isn’t mutch to ask.

Clarke only needs a little bit more weight and again he is already bigger than Mitchell, he is a player, as you describe, who can run all day, and if he keeps developing himself, I don’t see why he can’t be more of a Tom Mitchell type.

Comparing Mutch and Clarke to Tom Mitchell? Size wise similar. Ability wise a million miles apart

1 Like

Mutch and Clarke are both fit but still need gradual improvement. For both its the strength issue that’s holding them back physically.
Mitchell has had the ability to rack up numbers since he started, has always had the nous. Conditioning may get to the same level but they may never get to his ability, he’s a master at positioning himself across the ground and at stoppages. Mutch has the positioning, Clarke has the stoppage craft. Not sure if either will have the ability to really pick up the other. Was Mutch a stoppage machine or just played inside as a junior?

I don’t think it was meant physically. More “a poor man’s Tom Mitchell”

2 Likes

Yep this

Ross played 13 games in his second year and 13 in his 3rd.

StKilda was pretty crap during those years though

Why are we comparing Mutch and Clarke to possibly the best ever clearance player?

Why not compare them to Cunnington or Boak or Ward?

St Kilda supporters’ complaints about Ross centre on his disposal and decision making.

1 Like

Welcome to Essendon

2 Likes

Beggars can’t be choosers

Not sure how this response is even vaguely pertinent to my comment.

St Kilda aren’t exactly flush with talent, hence beggars.

Listed as our best player in the VFL loss to Geelong . This is good news as he had come to the club as an inside mid with very good references. I have been a little disappointed as he has been a slow build to this point. He is someone to watch over the last few games and the preseason…

1 Like

Not sure if serious.

Undersized rookie mid who has managed to garner a cr*p load of hype on blitz after about 15 VFL games.

He’s built far faster than I would have been expecting in an inside mid role*

*Although I suspect a lot of it is the blitz factor. He’s still ages off, but how will blitz be able to get annoyed when he isn’t playing seniors in the first half of next year if we can’t believe he’s ready now.

1 Like

No, not Blitz factor. This was what got me in:

Eastern Ranges coach Darren Bewick said Mynott was quick with his mind and hands.

“He’s really given himself a chance (of being drafted), he’s become an elite inside clearance player, where last year he was more outside and he’s decision making was really good,” Bewick said.

“I’m really confident he’s going to be around the mark through the middle part of the draft. If he’s a third-rounder they’re getting a bargain, I reckon, because I think he’ll turn into a really good AFL player.”

Why I was disappointed was more to do with the time it took for him to get anywhere near it at VFL level given opinions that were publicised around draft time…
So I am really pleased that he has played even one game as Essendons best player, even in a loss.
That is huge progress from where he was in March and seems to back up the Darren Bewick hype.

If we can get just one good inside mid out of Mynott, Clarke and Mutch for 2019 it will be good.

2 Likes

What exactly counts as anywhere near it?
He got 20 disposals in each of his first 2 VFL games and he has continued with that 20 disposal average throughout the season.
I’d say that’s a pretty good start to a career for someone who was picked as a rookie.

Stats are very similar to the first seasons of Mutch and Clarke and some regular VFL watchers have already expressed the opinion that they think Mynott is ahead of where those 2 were at last season.

Edit: From what I’ve seen, and from what we now have in the 1’s, I reckon these guys will struggle to make the team next year. But hopefully all 3 keep working hard and improving and I reckon they’ll provide us with some solid depth.