Former #4 Jobe Watson

I’ll save you the click. The stats don’t back-up his comments.

stats are bullshit.

priddis gets the ball 40 times a game and does sweet ■■■■ all with it.

Bad analogy. Priddis is a Brownlow Medalist.

Better example would be Cotchin. Oh wait…

2 Likes

My point is. Jobe is nowhere near the player we idolised this season.

1 Like

Jobe never ever went to ground previously now he seems to be going to ground all he time. That’s a sign of being cooked.

Jobes greatest asset was his bulk and strength in the contest and now he’s on the wacky no meat diet he’s lost both. I hope his new girlfriend is worth it

He was great against the Pies last week though

The reality is vegetarian diets are absolutely terrible for athletes unless their vegetarian diet is spot on.
Jobe looks small, weak and skinny.

I miss the old powerful jobe :frowning:

The things men would do for a women :thumbsdown:

2 Likes

Too true. The effect of his diet on Stanton is appalling too.

10 Likes

we should be talking more about his missus and less about his football. Isn’t a man here who wouldn’t live off lentils and brussel sprouts for a couple of miles in his shoes.

2 Likes

Lol mate you’re better than that,

Not sure resting him for a week is going to change much.

I know he wrecked his collarbone in 2015 but we basically put him out to pasture at the same time as he was cooked, he “rested” all of 2016, 3 games in this year Woosha said he had hit a wall and 3 games later he might now need a “rest”.

One person even mentioned not to play him at Etihad as it exposes him, i mean seriously its our fkn home ground. Mayaswell just retire on the spot now if you’re of that belief.

2 Likes

No, we really shouldn’t be.

2 Likes

It’s nothing to do with his diet or gf

You miss a year of footy and come back to a game where running demands have lifted again, where you are copping hits/getting tackled a lot given inside combative role which you aren’t used to and it would be very very hard.

Hindsight is wonderful but we should have:

• Played Bird instead of Hocking vs Blues so that Watson & Heppell didn’t have to do all he heavy lifting. Hocking was rubbish and played more fwd defensive role anyway IIRC.

• Rested Watson for Crows game, after that wet day slog versus Blues.

• Rested Watson for Dees game after the short break post Anzac Day

Whoever is making the decision to send him out be it the selection panel or Jobes pride to put his hand up needs to reassess quickly.

The Bird/Hocking decision perhaps couldn’t be seen, although Hocking had done very little leading up to it. The non resting of Watson is just poor man management however. But if he is saying he is right what can the selection committee really do.

He is costing the team rolling out 13 possession games with zero ability to pressure/spread from the contest.

3 Likes

The unknown with not just Jobe but all returning players was how much time would it take to get back up to speed & would the older guys actually be able to pick it up again.

Personally I wouldn’t rest Jobe, if he says his body is right then play him, make an assessment at the bye, we have to give the returning players time to get their groove back, sure its not ideal and it’s not just Jobe most of them are looking a bit out of sorts but we have to give them time.

Unfortunately in this age of I WANT IT ALL NOW!!! if you’re not at the elite level within 5 minutes you need to be axed.

2 Likes

This is the major point everyone seems to be ignoring Not so slowstu.

This needs to wash through before we can resume normal transmission.

Playing guys like Jobe at VFL level does nothing to improve, or get them back to AFL level fitness.

I imagine the Coach asks him & let’s him decide,… “You need a rest mate? A run in the ressies perhaps?”
“No Coach, the only way I get back to it is by doing it, I might need less game time for a couple of weeks but if I’m going to get back to full fitness, I need to be pushing myself & measuring myself against the real stuff”

“All good then. … The results aren’t as important as getting everyone that’s going to make it back, and the others integrated my mid-season, so that’s what we would prefer, … but feel free to put your hand up if & when you need a spell ok?” … “No worries, … will do”

4 Likes

/fxd

2 Likes

yep, screw results.

just getting up to speed by the mid point of the season, cherry ripe for finals, that we won’t make, then retire.

3 Likes

Funny, to me is is blndfingly obvious why Jobe is struggling to perform at the level we are sued to seeing.

He is a vegan

Nobody it talking about Jobe becoming a vegan - that means, for those who do not know, no meat, fish, not even eggs or dairy products like cheese, butter, milk, which basically people choose in order to feel more peaceful and calm, not the qualities that are needed as an AFL footballer.
One of difficulties with this diet is that you have to be a really good cook to get all the necessary goodies in your daily diet, and it takes way more time than throwing a piece of fish/steak/sausage on frypan. Vegans are usually yogis who eschew contact sports like AFL.With his footy commitments he probably does not have time to cook enough to get right diet.

Anyone who has craved a steak knows the impact of high fat high protein. Or, if you have been in India and lived on almost vegan diet for any length of time you know that it is fine if you are not expecting the power and grunt you are used to in physical activities.

Over last years there has been a shift in diet thinking in AFL towards having more vegetable and animal fats, which of course Jobe no longer gets. This is about recovery and prep for games. It used to be players had big steak the night before and after a game, then that shifted to pasta as carbs became the rage re energy source, now is it fats that are sought after.

So yeah, Jobe has decided on this diet for his own reasons, but personally I think it signifies the end of his career as the topflight footballer we have loved. I do not believe that an afl player can be a vegan and maintain the levels of energy and aggression required.

Vegans simply do not win speed or power contests. Ever.

8 Likes

Not vegetarian, but vegan, meaning no dairy or eggs either. Everyone knows the value of power foods - steak, salmon, cheese - being vegan is the opposite of that.
See my post

Nate Diaz is a very vocal vegan.

Endurance :white_check_mark:
Strength :white_check_mark:
Aggression :white_check_mark:

It’s a probably a riskier diet but enough examples to show it’s plausible. But you never know the legitimacy of athletes diets due to performance enhancing drugs etc.

There are NFL players and endurance runners who are vegans also.

It’s not the diet.

3 Likes