Former #4 Jobe Watson

I was a veggie for years, my experience was that it took longer to cook interesting tasty veggie dishes, also having to pay more attention to stuff like Vit B and B12 sources. Soaking beans lentils etc, boredom of tofu! I take your point tho about bias. There is a collective addiction to meat fats and its taste.

Not referring to food miles or total energy cost of supplying meat. And yes it is untenable somehow to profess to like animals and at same time eat them. Irrespective of research re healthier outcomes.
Cheers

2 Likes

FWIW I think we do owe Watson a heap of loyalty and I’m not angry he is selected etc etc. However I think the game has moved past him. Still has the footy smarts and some of his handballs are sublime but he has always been slow and teams repeatedly work through his man on the counter attack.

It isn’t just stats all the time it is game context as well. I certainly don’t want him pushed out of the team and I’m just soaking up all his brilliant moments because I really feel this will be his last year.

I don’t think it has anything to do with his diet. I think he is 30+, has had 3 years basically out of footy plus the emotional drain of being the captain through the toughest period in any clubs history… sadly his best years were ruined.

Why does it have to turn into an insult fest to suggest, respectfully, that an older player might be nearing the end? Especially an inside mid that has given his heart and soul for the club?

3 Likes

Still in our best 22. No question.

Yes the drop-off in performance has been pretty dramatic, and it is hurting our performance, and it is sad in many ways.

But he is still in our best 22 and an important cog in our side.

1 Like

I agree. Heppell was never that quick anyway and Colyer is out of form so we have a slow midfield full of returning players.

Get him out of the Midfield and lock him in the Forward line.

It’s getting around the time I would have expected him to be back to full match fitness & touch, and in this game, some of his disposal was sublime, and then occasionally, he pulled a total clanger out, or got caught out by an oppo player unseen cutting in. But the latter was happening a lot, & to many of our players, with the Tiges playing us really close, and bringing the same tackling pressure that has been a strength for us, particularly in their forward line.

At times though, he looks truly stuffed still, and although he wasn’t alone in that on Sat night, I am seriously wondering about the effect of this vegan thing.

Has been inconsistent in his performances which is a sign of decline - Had 3 or 4 very good games, while the others have been average at best - He’s declining but not as fast as Priddis.

1 Like

I worry that his ability to spread is gone. Make me sad because of everything the club did to him. Deserves a flag

Are ya?

Is that because you don’t want to face that maybe our 32 year old champ might be on the decline? Vegan or not he was going to retire one day.

2 Likes

I think without the ban he would have retired after last year.

No… it’s just coz I wonder about stuff.

I’d also say that if anyone has a problem with me hoping that he can get his mojo back and stick around for a chance at a flag, … they have serious issues.

I listen to Jobes old man in the mornings on the radio. What a quality bloke Tim is. He has a great personality. Far more so than on the nightly news for 20 years, you really get a feel for who he is from the radio repartee in the mornings for just 3 months. Having 2 great champions and fine examples of men like Jobe and Tim at the club is no small part of what makes the club special.

4 Likes

For all the crap this guy has dealt with I selfishly hold on to a glimmer of hope that he moves into the football media at some stage.

Was a shoe in before the saga.

Let’s face it, this will be his final year and we’re not making finals, so let him play the year out without the pressure of supporters calling for his head.

1 Like

wow that makes me upset. But yes I totally agree.

Just don’t forget that BJ was not looking the best late last year…

4 Likes

He is what 9 games after a year out and 2+ years of ridiculous mental pressure? He is barely running out games and the teams form has been up and down. His form in the games we won has been decent and no surprises that he plays poorly with the rest of the side when we lose.

He isn’t our #1 mid, but that’s a good thing. He has shown in bursts that he is still top 3 mids in the team. Though in bursts.

The bye couldn’t come quicker for him and the likes of Hooker who both have struggled with form due to fitness and other elements.

Main thing is that he is in a good frame of mind and the team with Jobe is better with the team without Jobe in it.

1 Like

Still think you all are writing him off way way way too soon.

17 Likes

I think he is slowly improving, starting to see more signs of the old Jobe. Still not playing anywhere near his best, but I really think he is building.

2 Likes

Yep.
Beware - Get the feeling he is ready to explode - one way or another.