Former #4 Jobe Watson

Jobe could lose just about everything but still handball in close like a boss.

3 Likes

He was excellent, I wasn’t sure he could contribute at that level anymore, very happy to be wrong. If he can continue the form it certainly gives us a massive lift in clearances.

Yay jobe.

That is all.

1 Like

Our inside mids where great, Jobe and Hepp where immense. I know Myers made some mistakes and didn’t get huge numbers himself but he was critical with his body work allowing others to clear the ball. Numbers and SC scores never tell the full story it is a team game.

If they can keep up this sort of consistency in the middle we will be very hard to beat, it has been our biggest weekness by far this year.

it’s not that about Myers - it’s that he’s not releasing the ball fast and clean enough.
Watching McG, Hepps, Zach, Fanta, and Jobe - they know what they’re gonna do with the ball before they even have it. It’s required these days because opposing players are already on their way to tackle a player before he receives - it’s that fast - and a huge difference between AFL and the ressies.

Over Jobes last 4 games, his 6.3 average clearances put him around Cripps, Zorko, Neale, Sloane type numbers with disposals averaging 29, His handballs were brilliant in the Port game.
Over that period Jobe has been performing inside the top 10 of midfielders.
In the Port game Jobe was top 2 on these metrics.

Its no wonder Woosha wants to talk to Jobe about next year .

7 Likes

Ballbagg Barrett will question whether he’s in our best 22 again this week. ■■■■■■■ clueless numpty.

He keeps getting better. I gave him best on ground last weekend for his inside work. Was great, and we so desperately need his talents inside.

Still missing the odd disposal by foot. But as the side gets more confidence in its natural runners and ball users, I think Jobe will be happy to take the easier options and let the more reliable blokes take the riskier kicks.

I’d like him to spend a little bit of time reminding himself how to kick set shot goals.

Really is working his way into season nicely getting used to playing / training again. The travel / short breaks etc early on he was battling with.

If can just get his kicking game back to level it was we will have a serious player for 2nd half of year. And then who knows… maybe he does consider 2018. Couldn’t have looked less likely at start of season.

from today’s H/s. Interesting what he says about never having the medal!

Essendon’s Jobe Watson: ‘I’m back in footy, enjoying it for what it is’
ALICE COSTER, Herald Sun
June 16, 2017 9:25pm
Subscriber only
JOBE Watson says life is too short to blame others.

There is something special about the former Bombers captain, who has reason to feel anger and a lingering hurt following the Essendon Football Club’s supplements scandal.

The world knows that Watson was stripped of his Brownlow Medal and banned from the game for a year.

But the Essendon champion, and son of Bombers great and Channel 7 and SEN commentator Tim Watson, doesn’t play the blame game.

Essendon champ Jobe Watson isn’t playing the blame game over losing his Brownlow Medal.
Watson revealed to the Herald Sun that he still hasn’t “processed” the enormity of what happened during the AFL-ASADA probe into the Bombers’ 2012 supplements program, when 34 past and present Essendon players were heavily penalised.

“I haven’t thought a lot about it really — I’m back in footy, enjoying it for what it is,” Watson said at the exclusive Hyatt Place hotel launch at Essendon Fields.

“I suppose when my career is finished I will reflect on life in footy and see how I feel about it then.”

Shrugging when asked about how he felt giving back the Brownlow, Watson threw up his hands, saying, “It is what it is."

But don’t wait for a tell-all memoir on what became known as the “blackest day in sport”. Not only is Watson a private man, but he says he is not great with a pen.

“I’ve got terrible grammar and punctuation so I don’t think I could,” he says with a laugh.

Having just returned from Perth, where his sister gave birth to “beautiful” niece Goldie, Watson says he remains focused on footy.

Jobe Watson says he remains focused on footy.
The “FEMINIST” snapback he wore to his first press conference last year announcing his return to the game is sitting in his South Melbourne home.

Watson says his Netherlands-born model girlfriend, Virginia Slaghekke, 26, is there too, holed up studying for her neuroscience degree at Deakin University.

“She is in the middle of exams at the moment, so busy studying, but she is enjoying Melbourne,” Watson said.

Mystery still surrounds the circumstances behind the return of the actual Brownlow Medal Watson won in 2012, which now sits in a drawer in Gillon McLachlan’s office at AFL House. The smile dropped when Watson was asked how the medal was returned. “I’ve got no idea,” he said. “I never had it.”

Bombers coach John Worsfeld recently said he and Watson would sit down over coming weeks about Watson’s future on the field.

But for now it’s no regrets and playing the game.

“Life is too short to blame people,” he says.

Watson says he will return to New York in October to work behind the coffee machine in his cafe on Fifth Avenue, Hole in The Wall.

Coffee’s up and so is this football champion.

16 Likes

Weird. Do Brownlow winners get to even take them home these days? Or is it such an artificial ceremony these days that they just use the same prop every year on the night?

I would have thought he’d have had possession of it, but probably gave it to his Dad or manager for safe keeping when he went to NYC… im just speculating but maybe “He never had it” at the time it was given back.

I reckon the dog ate it.

2 Likes

Worst effort at fluff ever.

2 things don’t make sense.

He was not “stripped” of the Brownlow, I was pretty sure he chose to relinquish it.

Also, I thought that flog Gil had said he didn’t get it back. As if he would just have it sitting in his draw at AFL house.

Now thats some spin doctoring.

the afl was waiting so they wouldn’t have to be the bad guys.

he was never going to keep it.

He probably puts it on, looks at himself and wears it in the his office.

I think you are confusing Jobe’s Brownlow with Gill’s wife’s school dress.

7 Likes

Does that mean we can expect to see a cross dressing day a like the Bombers and Cats Country game but a bit different?

1 Like

After the initial hoo-har about the actual where-abouts of the medal Gillon McLachlan came out about a week later and said that he now had the medal and it was in his desk drawer.

1 Like

Fair enough.

Not sure I believe him or if it even matters.

1 Like