Former #4 Jobe Watson

I was thinking how retirements like Nick Riewoldts/Luke Hodges can lift the team, or even GCS getting a new coach could lift them against us next week.

Hopefully the boys can do the right thing by Jobe and send him off with pride.

Anyone else reckon our chances against Adelaide this week improve?

2 Likes

Went to school with Jobe

the very definition of a gentle giant, always soft spoken never a shred of negativity or immaturity about him, none of that stupid bro arrogance most boys have when they’re tall and great at footy and cricket, class act as a kid class act as a man, the footy world is at a loss for his departure, amazing human being deserves so much success and happiness with where ever he goes from here, and he’ll get it, because he is and always will be a champion.

53 Likes

We have been so blessed to have two great men in both Jobe as captain and James Hird as coach together lead this club through its darkest hours.

You just couldn’t find two more honourable and principled people as these two legends.

Jobe will be sorely missed immensely by us supporters but most gratefully thankful to have him represent this great club with such great aplomb.

Hope he absolutely smashes it in whatever the rest of his life brings him…and looking forward to the tell-all autobiography in the future😉.

13 Likes

The club has had some great speakers over the years but Jobe is by far the best. Just pure class in how he has handled everything. I really liked wooshas way of describing him.

Authentic. That sums him up

Thank you Jobe

1 Like

With pressure off hope he goes out enjoying his footy in style.

Think he may just wind back the clock this weekend

If the Champions of Essendon was updated today, Jobe would easily be top 5. As good of a player as he was, everything he did off the field will be remembered forever. I’m not sure if we’ll ever have a better leader of our club.

4 Likes

He’s too good for footy. Can’t picture him going down the same road as so many others needing validation through media careers.

30 Likes

Deserves a premiership. We all do!

5 Likes

My wife isn’t a huge AFL fan and just said she got a little teary when she heard and just wants to give Jobe a hug and tell him “we still love him”… great sentiment and sums up how many of us feel I’d say.

12 Likes

Validation? Or just really really easy money?

3 Likes

jobe announces retirement.
Team delivers backs against wall performance and Beat crows.
with Jobe retiring, Goddards fairytale premiership needs to happen this year or it wont happen.

But it will be our young stars that will get us there not the old ones - McDonald Tipungwuti, Merrett & Daniher.
I would love to see Parish in a final, as well as Daniher again the ultimate big game player.
I still believe we are a chance this year, but we have to win this week.

3 Likes

Champion player, Champion person. A gentleman until the end.

Let’s tear Adelaide apart for Jobe.

7 Likes

Legend. How important has he been to the survival of the club was made crystal clear by Tanner.
Feeling very selfishly sad now but glad that Jobe is excited about the next stage of his life.

3 Likes

Both.

1 Like

Josh Jenkins‏Verified account @JoshJenkins24

A man of incredible intelligence & integrity. Congratulations to @JobeWatson on a career that will never be mirrored.

24 Likes

What a gentleman.

Thanks Jobe.

We did get the news first.

We are going to be Watsonless and Fletcherless in 2018! When did this last occur?

At least we still have a Daniher.

4 Likes

And a Long (for the time being) and a couple of Merretts (for the time being).

1 Like

1992?

1 Like