Former #4 Jobe Watson

Fluffed a few tonight trying to be too cute but was fantastic in and under and willed himself to get the job done in the last. Looked absolutely cooked coming off and had given everything he had

BOG

‘Going for damaging shots’ does not equal ‘trying to be cute’.

This guy

Jobe Watson challenge sparks Essendon Bombers’ win over Brisbane Lions

He may no longer be captain, but Jobe Watson is still clearly Essendon’s leader.

Bombers coach John Worsfold has paid tribute to Watson, saying the ex-skipper’s stirring three-quarter time address sparked Saturday night’s 27-point win over the Brisbane Lions.

Essendon looked set for a huge percentage-boosting round two win when they led by 42 points late in the second term at the Gabba.

At one stage they kicked eight straight goals as vice-captain Zach Merrett and forward Orazio Fantasia ran amok.

However, the shell-shocked Bombers limped into the final break holding a lead of just five points after the rejuvenated Lions dominated clearances.

Enter Watson.

“He was the vocal one at three-quarter time and was ready to step up to that midfield challenge,” Worsfold said of Watson, who relinquished the Bombers captaincy to Dyson Heppell in 2017.

"He was really disappointed they’d let Brisbane beat us at stoppages in that third quarter.

“His leadership is still there for us all to see.”

In just his second game back from a 12-month ban, Watson’s three-quarter time challenge quickly fired up teammates in the sheds.

“We basically challenged them to take it (midfield challenge) on,” Worsfold said.

"We said ‘we’re not going to support you, as in put extra numbers in there, but let’s step up to that challenge’ and they did that.

“It was really pleasing that they (players) drove that.”

Watson’s words initially appeared to fall flat after Brisbane snatched an 81-80 lead when Eric Hipwood opened the fourth term with a goal.

But Merrett and Watson again regained midfield control as Essendon kicked the final five goals to seal a 17.9 (111) to 12.12 (84) win.

Watson finished with a game high 34 touches, Merrett helped himself to 32 and Fantasia booted five goals, including one after the siren to further blow out the scoreline.

Fantasia’s goal tally is already at nine after two games.

He played well with Joe Daniher (three goals) and Cale Hooker (two) on Saturday in an Essendon forward line Worsfold warned would only get better.

“To hit the scoreboard is great, but he does a lot of other stuff as well and (he’s) fitting in with a forward line now,” Worsfold said of Fantasia.

“They’ve got a lot of work to do to really get their chemistry, but they’re working hard on that now.”

AAP

4 Likes

Not even close. Terrible disposal apart from a couple of nice passes. Worst game I have seen him play in years!

Surely you jest

Not since they invented gun powder, no.

2 Likes

Wow… He wasn’t at his absolute Brownlow winning peak, but he was clearly a key player in that game.

Do you even remember his last game before the suspension (or most of the 10 or so before that)?

To my eyes he is playing outside and spreading better than in the past.

he is the best human

3 Likes

In Zaka’s Triple M interview up on the Bombers podcast now, that Norf president guy referred to Jobe as “brownlow medallist and superstar”.

Damn straight.

12 Likes

Hmmm, … I don’t know how I feel about feeling warm towards Bragshaw …

Maybe the flogs as a majority have come to realise the reaming, and this absolute travesty inparticular?

1 Like

I would love if the umpires secretly were voting for him over Heppell and Zerrett. He could have easily polled against Brisbane.

Would love him to win another one. Poetic justice for a legend of our footy club.

I like brayshaw as a radio commentator, at least he knows who the players are (FKWIT BASIL)

Jobe kicking that ball forward instead of taking possession was better than the zero sum game of being tackled. Kicking the ball under the outstretched arm of a blocking player, to a favourable outnumber is a calculated risk… In Q4 there was a good risk to reward and thats the way we are playing, because, as the commentators said, “Essendon seem to have so many avenues to goal”

1 Like

that measured chip/toepoke/no-hand-drop-punt in the 4th qtr was sublime.

3 Likes

Basil is an automaton, and a badly programmed one. No actual person looks or talks like that.

4 Likes

So did anyone else hear those wanker Carlton fans in the Olympic stand boo Jobe early on yesterday?

yes. no reason to care. they barrack for fark carlton. they are irrelevant

3 Likes