Former #4 Jobe Watson

Walkley-worthy final sentence.

1 Like

It’s clever because his spirits are seemingly up. Just like when a coffee is ready.

4 Likes

Gil sounds like a school teacher whos confiscated a sling shot when he refers to the medal being ‘in my top drawer’.
■■■■■■■■!!

1 Like

And I completely believe him as he is a perfectly above board, fine upstanding citizen.

1 Like

Every bit of me hopes he goes on. The one player I want more than anyone to see win a flag. Even if not - to enjoy the end of his career. Big wins, positive vibes in the rooms, finals footy.
Don’t want hm to just be remembered as the champion of the worst era at EFC . Has to have a better ending. Please.

2 Likes

The medal is close by in Gil’s drawer so he can reach it quickly to return it to Jobe when the truth comes out.
I long to see the day when snitchell and crutchin have theirs taken away.

1 Like

He’ll always be a champion, regardless of what happens from here. The list of his achievements may be a bit different from the usual stuff quoted by the media/public. But they are great achievements anyway, and he will retire a champ. If he hung up the boots next week, his career has been a great one.

4 Likes

Need a huge game from Jobe this week.

Need plenty of his hand passes getting the ball to the outside where we can use our pace.

2 Likes

true. having said that -
He deserves to be remembered as a winning champ. can’t deny that history remembers those with finals (esp. GF) success differently to great club champions.
But more than that - when I think about these players as young adults with a time-limit on their careers, you want them to succeed and make the most of it. It’s a given that not anyone can succeed. Once in a while along comes someone who you look at and really want them to touch the sky - for me that’s Jobe. I’ll love it for EFC and as a fan, but I want it for him on a personal level.

2 Likes

yep. need a big one from Jobe. He doesn’t need to, (nor seem to feel he needs to) prove anything to anyone but I’d love him to show everyone that he’s the man in the middle - Sydney in Syd is the perfect time for that.

Look, I agree - and I know that Jobe would like nothing more, also. But I don’t define ‘success’ the same way you have here. Winning a premiership during your career involves a huge amount of luck - more luck than anything else. It doesn’t sit that well with me, the concept of being more of a ‘champion’ if you were part of a premiership team. I suppose we all define things differently. I can think of many players who are champs and never hit that ultimate prize. And vice versa - many premiership winners whose name will fade away once they retire. And in my opinion, there are great players who won premiership who I’ll never consider ‘champions’ - because they are nasty human beings.

4 Likes

I actually don’t think we’re in disagreement. As I explained - I want him to leave on a high not just as a fan, but on the personal level and because of the person he is - the champion he is. I want him to finish his career enjoying his footy and with the best memories- for us and for him.
If it’s a flag - amazing, If it’s a couple of years of winning, enjoying the growth of the team, playing some finals, and taking it all in before it’s over - I’ll be v happy for him too.

3 Likes

I was pretty disappointed that Jobe could not even make the distance from within 40 meters. His kicking really has disintegrated.

Even at his peak he would of struggled from 40. Never been a real long kick

Agreed that shot after the siren with no real pressure needed a score, at the very least a point.

Obviously a small subject sample but it seems perhaps when you’re closer to the end of your career a year away from the game can effect your ability. Jobe has had a few decent games though and hopefully this was an aberration of sorts after the bye and he’s back to form soon for the second half of the season.

He could’ve handballed it through from there.

5 Likes

It’s because of the vegan thing I tell ya!

1 Like

We might rate him as a champion but we are a bit biased, he won a brownlow of course but you could say that comes down to a fair bit of luck too (team mates stealing votes, the fixture, injury, tribunal, position played, etc)

It all comes down to definitions anyway. Sure he’s a club champion (Crichton Medals) but AFL is about team success and we have achieved stuff-all team success in Jobe’s best years. Also history says that Premiership Captains are remembered a lot more fondly than others.

In our heart of hearts he is a champion to us, and seems to be a champion bloke, but I’m sure other clubs could throw up some players with better credentials that would make us…throw up.

I really hope he can play on next year. I think he still has a lot to offer and no doubt the decision will become clearer in the remainder of the season.

2 Likes

Robbie Flower says hi.
Trevor Barker says hi.
Tim Watson says hi.
Simon Madden says hi.
Neale Daniher says hi.
Ken Fletcher says hi.

I remember them all fondly, even those two who didn’t play for my team.

1 Like