Former #4 Jobe Watson

Sounds like a typical stunt where Sam does something soooo non PC to court controversy and garner attention & headlines when the ratings slacken.

But by the sounds of it, they didn’t fall for it this time.

Is it so "deplorable ? Gender is now being described as a spectrum and its pretty clear that the fault is with the English language for not keeping up with this. There is a good argument to dispense with gender based pronouns altogether, and this does not necessarily mean replacing them by “it” because up to now " it "refers to inanimate objects and non human life forms.

I don’t think it’s up to us to decide whether or not it is deplorable or not, but if the LGBT community are offended by it, then it’s offensive.

Are you perhaps assuming that at least one of ‘us’ isn’t part of the ‘LGBT community’?

Yeah but people get offended by anything these days. You can’t base things solely around someone get offended or you won’t say or do anything.

7 Likes

Triggernometry is a prerequisite unit to complete your Bachelor of Social Justice.

I take offence to that.

3 Likes

That offends me!

Gunna bugger up all the languages in Europe where gender is an essential part of nouns and accordingly adjectives.

I’m still not convinced that Caitlyn Jenner isn’t a publicity stunt. He’s attached to the Kardashians.

Is this the same for all special interest groups? what about groups whose opinions you disagree with? do you follow these same rules? Or do you make up your own mind as to whether or not something is offensive.

1 Like

its also not hard to be a ■■■■■■■■.

The confusing thing about Caitlyn Jenner is that her/his children went to celebrate Father’s Day with him/her.

So, the new personal pronouns are herhis and himher ?

To be polite, we need to take heed of the self declared gender. Caitlin Jenner declares herself to be “female” so thats appropriate.

Of particular interest is a self declared gender neutral person. Clearly they cannot be called “it”, so what presonal pronouns do we use?

They’re probably just busting her balls.

1 Like

Typically style guides go with ‘they’ for singular non-specific person (eg “What pronoun should someone use?” “They should use whatever the subject prefers”), and either allow ‘they’ for specific people or suggest rewording.

It won’t ever happen in those countries.

Nor should it. I’m against it happening in English too.

Just cop out and use they/them. It may not actually be singular, but it reads a hell of a lot better.

I still use “ye” for the second person plural. Change is for the weak of character.

4 Likes

So can someone let us know what time he’s on. There’s no way I’m watching more of that tripe than I have to.

1 Like