Former #4 Jobe Watson

Just waiting for the sunshine army to come through and say he’s building.

I love Jobe but even though he found it 27 times today, that’s not the issue. What he does with it has gone to a terrible level. You think I wanna say this? I love Jobe, it kills me. He is the best leader we have EVER had imo, I’ve got 3 guernseys with his number, has been one of my favourites for years, but he is a shadow of himself now. He’s actually hurting the side. When the game was in the balance and he kicked it to barely a 50/50 with belly tells you he’s not up to it anymore

I hope we find a role for him. He deserves it, but you cannot keep on playing him in the current role he is playing

6 Likes

We are headed for the 8, just not the top one. Maybe its time to seriously consider a rebuild???

1 Like

we’ve cut corners with our last 2 rebuilds.

2 Likes

Jobe is a king and deserves a King’s farewell.

He’s still a gun and one of our best but unfortunately it’s clear for all and sundry that he can’t keep to the level for 4 quarters.

It’s only going to get magnified X5 recurring with every loss.

Last season

2 Likes

Jobe and BJ were our best players today, by a farking long way. Watch the replay and see the work both did.

Jobe and Walla are only two mid-fielders who go in for the hard ball. Heppell, Zerrett and Parish need to toughen up.

4 Likes

Unless he changes his game and becomes a forward or something, he’s done. It’s sad to see but he does not help our midfield at all. Costly misses at goal time & time again, costly turnovers in the corridor and just dumb decisions with the football.
Love the guy, I love what he’s done for the club but his time has come. Unfortunately.

2 Likes

Stays in for mine…is being played out of position.

…but has here ever been a bloke that plays footy before that polishes the ball up like a cricket ball as he’s walking in? Who the hell taught him that?

2 Likes

What position is he being played out of?

I thought he was a midfielder and that is where he is playing?

2 Likes

The sad part is as bad as he’s been or the fact he’s nowhere near what he was, he’s still easily in our best side and that’s a sad indictment on the list that we have no young midfielders coming up to challenge.

2 Likes

Doesn’t look to be in the A team rotation through the middle. Is just a second stringer now. (Was drinking beer and tending BBQ during the game, so could that’s my defence if I’m cross eyed)

If Jobe’s on the beers mid game it explains a lot.

2 Likes

They are the best at stuffing the stat sheet. Pointing fingers, shaking heads and refusing to chase are also strong points.

The mind is willing (at times) but the body aint. Time to hang up the boots.

I thought today was one of his best games for the year.

Feels like he is kicking way more than he should be / was in previous years - Tho’, It may just be that his kicking has regressed to pre 2010 standards - so it’s much more noticeable?

He needs to be at the coal face releasing runners with 20m handballs. I miss that.

Oh, It SOOO ain’t appropriate to be digging the boots in to him. He’s gone to hell and back for this club.

He’ll make the call when the time is right.

4 Likes

He’s not done. He shouldnt have to be a prime mover still but the reality is we still need him to be. He’s not the worst of the returnees, arguably only Hurls has been better.

5 Likes

I can be a stats nerd sometimes, and I reckon I’ve noticed a trend…

In games where Essendon wins - Jobe’s kick to handball ratio is greater than 1. (ie - he kicks more than he handballs)
In games where Essendon loses - Jobe’s kick to handball ratio is less than 1. (ie - more handballs than kicks)

Ergo - pressure Jobe, and force him to handball, and go a long way to shutting Essendon down.

CBF figuring it out, but if someone did, I’d be interested to see if I’m right, or completely off the mark.

A better game by Jobe today. I hope he plays like this for the rest of the season although also hope he does not get any more shots at goal.

1 Like

Almost time to get the grinder ready and brew up those short macs.

He was far from our worst today (though his spinning of the ball when missing those two shots on goal were infuriating) but for the advancement of our team I hope he pulls the pin at the end of this year (along with Stanton, Howlett, Hocking, Goddard and Myers).
There a few good games left in Goddard & Jobe
But It’s time for change.
We were cooked before the Saga. Go back to 2011 and 2012 and we’d do the same thing. Start well then choke the second pressure was applied.

1 Like

That kick to Bellchambers at the end was terrible. The kick was on but he just butchered it. At that time in the game, he could have just gone down the line to several one on ones that were far safer but still put us in a good attacking position.

1 Like