Former #4 Jobe Watson

im not saying he is the only one that should be dropped.

The worst player on any list can be desperate.

Okay, he was more than desperate. He won a fkn crucial hard ball that 90% of our list wouldn’t and got the handball out to Tippa.

1 Like

Jobe actually lead the list in the fantasy point thing yeah?

Got 27 touches and was named in the bests in many reports, including the club site

And people want him dropped? Ok then…

5 Likes

classic case of “the higher they are the harder they fall” - click over to the Heppel thread- same thing there.

You sir - are a pig

3 Likes

I appreciate the feedback (even the bad), but I’m right here.

Summarised, my point is as follows:

1. He hasn’t been that bad. He’s averaging 25 possessions, 6 marks, 4.7 tackles a game. Yep,certainly a reasonable amount of turnovers in there. But he’s 4th on the list for average Essendon disposals, that’s below only Goddard and Zerrett and pretty much equal with Heppell. He’s going fine and you are all being way harsh. I would say that this season, you could probably classify Daniher, Zerrett and Hurley as having great seasons, with Goddard just below, and a bunch of players including Watson just below that (including Heppell, Hooker, Bags, Tippa, Fanta etc).

2. Even if he was having a shocking season, I wouldn’t drop him due to the reasons expressed in my previous post. He did hold the club together. We do owe him. And the damage to the culture / fabric of the club if we dropped him now would outweigh any potential gains.

3. Who are you dropping him for? If there a bunch of young contested midfielders beating down the door in the seconds than I must have missed it.

4. You’re all nuts.

10 Likes

You can and will if you are Essendon of the last 15 years.

You can’t if you are Hawthorn of the past 10 years.

No wonder we are where we are.

This isn’t a shot at Jobe…in fact after what he has done for this club over the last 4-5 years, given the fact we will simply be making up the numbers if we make the finals, he gets to play the final 8 games of the season.

Sickening to think such a champion of our club will likely retire having never played in a winning final. ■■■■ North & Ryder.

Jobe played in the winning Elim Final against Melbourne in 2004.

1 Like

yep. blitz.

:smiley: I was taking the p.

He did? I thought it was only Stants this whole time.

Jobe had 14 disposals; 3 kicks and 11 hand-balls. Nothing has changed, as he was a lousy kick then as well.

1 Like

Good call.

Some of you people have very short memories, sometimes I wonder if you blokes actually go to the games. FFS give Jobe a break. So we have had a few bad games this year, that we could have won, it will all come good eventually, stick fat through thick and thin Gentlemen, show some fn character.

1 Like

He’s literally the worst kick of the footy in our side. That’s what worries me

1 Like

BRING. IN. CLARKE.

3 Likes

Here are the average clearances for the year. Ok, stats mean jackshxt but in year when our midfield is our main problem, Jobe obtains more clearances, contests and tackles better than any other player we have, but not by that much these days.

Note. The top inside mids in the competition average around 8 clearances per game.,

Jobe 4.8
Zac Merret 4.6
Hepp 4.4
Goddard 3.6 ( somewhat watered down as he has played half the games on the outside)
Darcy 2.8 ( with limited time on the inside )
Myers 1.5

Jobe will decide when he retires. But really Hepp has to step up and average at least 6 clearances as a big bodied mid from this point on, Zac and Darcy need to step up. Thats just to maintain where we are at now in the absence of Jobe. Langford: too early to tell. He had 3 clearances against Brisbane.

Is the team better, right now in 2017, with Jobe in it? Given the options to replace him, I think you’d have to say yeah.

Is this team better off in the future, with Jobe in it instead of a youngster? I’d say that his work in close, his hardness, awareness, and desperation, are traits that young players could learn a lot from by being alongside. Langford can learn plenty lining up next to Jobe at ball-ups.

I understand there’s value throwing kids in the deep end, but I think it’s invaluable right now if the younger guys rotating through the midfield can have a Brownlow-winning mid in their ear, and by their side. The kicking is off but the rest of his abilities are near top notch.

2 Likes

I just wanted him to eat some meat and get some Grrrrrrrrr!
Tear someone a new something.
Crash, bash while wearing the sash.
Kick some azs!

1 Like