#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Android autocorrect is worse than iPhone.

Thank God I wasn’t talking about AFLW

2 Likes

looks arrogant

2 Likes

The best things I’ve seen him do are lead, contested marks and kick at goal.

The worst things I’ve seen him do is be a deer in headlights in traffic or defence.

They’re going to end his career in the midfield.

6 Likes

Yeah it’s a concern. If the mid experiment doesn’t work this year surely they have to give it up.

Gee his marking was good last night.

Yep. Very good. Some might say it’s the best thing he does.

1 Like

I’ve been firmly in the camp of him being a forward since day 1. Strong hands, decent overhead and generally very neat, reliable kick for goal

1 Like

Ditto.

utterly gobsmacked when someone said the coaches were teaching him to slow down and decide the ‘right’ option, when our entire gameplan is about blitzing the other teams midfield and defence.

Jobe looked laconic.

So he’s filling the Shaun McManus role?

Ok. I’m optimistic about the lad.

Do we think that he could displace Stewart and virtually play tag team mid / fwd with stringer?

Looks like Rance. Very slapworthy

In the tac cup kyle had a couple of really good games as a roaming forward - great hands and lovely kick, he kind of just floated across the ground.

If I’m not mistaken the tac cup had trialled rules with in his draft year with regards to the number of players inside forward 50 - and he excelled and again we saw last night how damaging he could be when he had room to move.

1 Like

Woosha knows this- rightly developing his midfield craft not to be a gun but so he can spend hus 30% there a game. There are not alot of 6ft3 who can actually play forward period.

Depends what you mean by “a lot” I guess. I’d say more teams than not have forwards around the 190/191cm mark, especially if you include mid/forwards. Biggish medium forward is not a unique physical proposition.

Serious question.

So John Worsfold, Mark Neeld, Rob Harding, Mark Harvey, Hayden Skipworth, Paul Corrigan, Dan Jordan, Mark Corrigan, James Kelly (and chuck in Guy McKenna) all have many 1000s of AFL games experience between them and countless years experience in coaching and developing players.

Then there are a heap of players in our team over the past year or so who have been around a long time and have seen past and present players first hand - Jobe, Stanton, Goddard, Heppell, Hooker etc.

What is it that has made all these people see or think that Langford can be a mid?

2 Likes

he took a nice mark the other night - and didn’t win any centre bounce clearances.

FB I think it was just necessity. With Jobe retiring they had to look elsewhere and try to develop a replacement. It probably won’t work and he will become a very good half forward who plays a bit in the midfield. Recruiting Smith, Stringer & Guelfi (if he develops) might enable Langford to play where he is most suited.

Why would there be an assumption that everyone at the club agrees on Langford’s best position? For all we know everyone bar Woosha & Neeld think he’s a forward. Did we assume that everyone at the club thought Kepler Bradley was going to replace Fletch? Did everyone at the club think that Teddy Richards’ only hope was Lloyd getting injured? I’d suggest that assuming everyone agrees is baseless & even hoping that they all somehow are all of the same mind is counterproductive. I for one hope there is a lot of differing views being presented around the club.

Maybe the consensus at the club is that we already have more half forwards than we can play & so they believe his only value to the senior side will be as a mid even if they believe he’s best suited forward.

1 Like

Team needs and most likely, his size (which we lack) and aerial capacity. If he could combine that skill set improve his contested ball winning capabilities and speed up his decision making, that would make for an exceptional player. We all know the potential is their, but like most players to ever play the game, the word potential, can sometimes end just there.
There’s not much to lose but plenty to gain.

This is pretty bang on at the moment I reckon.

His value to the team is significantly more if he can develop as a midfielder.

Also, I would say, I’m guessing many of those saying he hasn’t shown anything as a mid aren’t regular VFL watchers. That’s not having a go at people, we all have differing priorities. But, if you watched VFL last year you would see there is something to work with there.

3 Likes