#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

I was a naysayer on Kyle but I get it now

I don’t think he will ever be a 5 clearance / 30 possession player because I don’t think he has the natural roving ability.

I do think he will deliver 3-4 clearances and 22 odd possessions a game consistently in a year or two but importantly few of those possessions will be wasted and many of them will be incisive.

He will be a gun if he can do that, if he exceeds that he will be AA

3 Likes

2018 = 18 possessions 2.3 clearances a game. Playing a hybrid mid/fwd role
2019 = I expect him to get to that 23 possessions 4 clearances a game. Predominantly midfield with 10% fwd time
2020 = 25+ possessions 5-6 clearances a game. First choice inside mid.

3 Likes

I agree with those projections.

He was getting big numbers in the VFL and I don’t see why he cant replicate those in the AFL.

He was obviously used sparingly in midfield this year and was also managed for time on ground so there is certainly capacity for him to be getting high possession games as he becomes more confident.

With ball in hand he is very dangerous I suspect he wont just be winning his own ball but also being fed the ball because he can cut apart the opposition with both handball and kicking.

4 Likes

If he’s getting 25 plus he will be an utter beast

I still have reservations about his hands in tight, if you look at his clearance work compared to guys Tom Mitchell, Clayton Oliver or Jobe/Priddis he looks a bit slow to react and fumbly. For instance at the same or younger age I think McGrath and Parish are much cleaner.

He does have the extra size to buy himself body position and a little bit of time though.

Will be very happy if I’m proved wrong (again)

3 Likes

Yep, beautiful long and low trajectory kick of the footy

…and such a miserable unsmiling sod in that video

1 Like

I have seen him a lot and his hands in tight are very good I just don’t think he’s had opportunity to show it at senior level because he hasn’t been given the responsibility.

I actually think hes incredibly underrated in that department. He is as clean with the ball as both McGrath and Parish in my opinion. For somebody so tall he is extremely clean below his knees. It is what made me think he was going to make it as a mid.

1 Like

I’m a fan, but to me this has been by far his weakest trait.

1 Like

I’m trying to think of a time when he has ever fumbled.

He has been known to take time moving the ball on but I have never seen anyone say he fumbles.

He is a one touch player.

His development will be interesting in terms of how the opposition respond. If he’s seen in the next tier down then he’ll get less attention / a lesser opponent allowing him to do more damage. Or he attracts their attention and gets a better opponent and this could free up one of our better onballers.

He hasn’t attracted the limelight, but that can change if he can improve on what he was doing last year. He’s got the right attributes to be a very damaging players. It’s whether that’s as an explosive onballer or one who kills you by a thousand cuts.

1 Like

He doesn’t, or I should say hasn’t, fumbled because he doesn’t bend over. He overruns it, or watches it roll away.
Until last season his hip seemed to have been fused with a friggin’ welding iron.
Last season was better, but he still has a long way to go with that if he wants to be an AFL standard mid.
I’m excited about him. I think he has some first rate parts to his game, but the ball at ground level is not one of them. Opposite of one of them.

1 Like

If he is going to make that step up and become a very good AFL player, it has to happen in the next 1-2 seasons. He finished the season well, he, by the looks of him, has had a big pre-season, and mentally I think he believes he belongs. Those factors should mean a breakout 2019. His size and ability to be a damaging forward target when resting from midfield means he can impact the game more than one way. He might turn into one of those types where, if the match-up suit, he might drag his opponent forward and expose them there.

2 Likes

I have no strong opinions on Kyle Langford

Come at me everyone

2 Likes

7 Likes

disagree totally.

1 Like

Me too.

29 Likes

I agree, that the speed of extraction isn’t at the elite level. Decision making has to start before getting the ball and then the choice of quick hands, take the tackle to release someone, finding a hole to get out of congestion etc. I’m not overly confident that he has the experience nor background to turn that around quickly. More likely a gradual improvement of how to operate in tight as it has been for the past 2-3 years.

1 Like

lol.
Well, you’re both wrong.

No opinions eh? Blo#dy leftie, tree hugging, tea party fascist, greenie… Take your extremist fence-sitting somewhere else

2 Likes