#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Noticed the other day that we had a habit of doing well early in quarters and losing it through the middle of the quarters.

So if these three guys, Langford Parish and McGrath, can hold their own, then this would put us in a different class as a footy side.

1 Like

Doesn’t win enough contested ball to be compared to elite mids. Don’t think he has the instincts to win the hard ball when in dispute.

If he ever gets a decent crack in the midfield we will find out I guess.

He looks in top shape and having a good pre-season. He played the last 14 games of 2018. His size gives him a key/particular role to play as an on-baller. He should be confident about taking his game to the next level.

5 Likes

If he stagnates this year then others will go past him.

Needs to go up another level this year and put some big games together.

Kyle should make David myers redundant this year as the big guy in the middle.

The Most Improved award will be a hottly contested competition this year.

1 Like

Myers will play all year I suspect.

He is part of the leadership group.

I hate to say it, but David is due for an injury.

And I have faith that one of the young fellas will knock him out of the seniors at some point during the season. His anchor role has been important to us over the years, but I think it might weigh us down this year.

1 Like

Yes and I expect this will again squeeze langford for midfield minutes. Shiel coming in is another factor. With stringer and hepp around too our midfield could easily become unbalanced and too big notwithstanding the media perception that we lack big bodies.

2 Likes

Shiel is explosive so he’s obviously going to help and Stringer is also so I’m not worried about him either.

Hepp obviously stays so the next part gets tricky.

Some are suggesting Merrett plays more wing but I would be shocked I’m if that happens. He’s still our best mid until proven otherwise and I can’t imagine the next captain in waiting playing a lesser role.

We have lots of options now.

Shiel is Merrett size. He will have zero impact on making our midfield too big. He does however have an impact on its shortness.

1 Like

Which shouldn’t matter one bit.

In my opinion he doesn’t play round 1. Even in his “most improved” year, his performances in our losses were poor. Given he will only ever be useful as an inside mid, it does effect the team if he cannot hold his own in those type of games.

Play the guys that are going to be taking us forward, and let Myers help us out if we get struck down with injury.

1 Like

You are preaching to the converted.

Woosha wants to have 15 players rolling through midfield then the second and third string players need to be able to play multiple roles to be useful.

Is this a statement of what you think will happen or what you think should happen?

I understand that but he will definitively play more inside the contest. Often last year we played 2 larger bodies inside the centre square. I expect we’ll see that far less regularly this year (a good thing imo). That will squeeze the time to be shared in the middle by the bigger guy which gives rise to a question on how many big guys we should play through the middle?

I’m trying to convince myself that it will happen.

I don’t think it is working.

1 Like

Playing as an outside mid isn’t a lesser role. Especially if you’re as good at it as Merrett. That’s where he was named All Australian. If Shiel free’s him up to go back into that position that’s a very good outcome for Zach and the team.

1 Like

Zach is a hybrid.

Club needs Zach at as many contests as possible.

2 Likes

I can’t see him wanting to play that role when he’s been used far more inside of recent seasons.

He’s obviously very damaging outside but most leaders want to impact the contest on the inside and I see Merrett as a leader in that regard.

He was only used far more inside last season because we needed him there. And they’ll play him to his strengths. He’ll play more outside but with the way Woosha likes rolling heaps of different players through the guts he’ll get plenty of inside time too.

3 Likes