#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

I just assumed he played more inside because he was our best mid and his body would have been further developed to play out a whole year there.

I still think his quality inside is just as important as his more outside work.

But as you say rotations will be important and I hope his kicking becomes more of a factor like it was in 2017.

1 Like

and they’ll play him to the team’s needs. They won’t waste his talents and he is good in and around the guts, but overall it has to be about what’s best for the team.

1 Like

and Langford losing his thread to Zach. Needs to exert himself more.

6 Likes

For example, he’s let his own thread be derailed.

2 Likes

Are you saying Sheil plays tall??

His kicking was more a factor in 2017 because he played wing/more outside. The people saying wing is a demotion have nfi.

He got concussed twice last year. He is a great player inside and out. But my god his kicking is beyond elite. Play him more outside and get him kicking more often. He will still be involved in a lot of contests on a wing. He is a natural hybrid footballer.

We have plenty of inside grunt now, get them feeding it out to zerret, and we will be in a great position.

5 Likes

Not disputing his quality.

just more wondering whether he would be willing to play more outside.

Most great players with leadership like his want to be around the action all the time.

I would be happy if Langford was played more inside but time will tell.

1 Like

He had a lot more of the ball in 2017.

Yeah, fair enough.

Just cant think of the last wingman that was made captain.

I think he is next in line and most captains influence the game far more around the contest.

The only guys who played more or less full time wing in the last two seasons are Colyer and McGrath. Everyone else has gone through the guts at some point.

Most stoppages don’t have the centre square restrictions anyway. It’s not a case of being on a wing, and being forced to sit 30m away from every contest

2 Likes

Ken Fletcher

Though Noonan would probably remember Garnet Campbell & George Stuckey also.

2 Likes

I think the inside and outside debate is now outdated.

There is no such thing. You need to be able to play multiple aspects of the game.

Lachie Hunter and Tom Philips are scared of their own shadow and seem allergic to contests still average 7+ contested possessions a game.

No matter how they play Zerrett he will still be in our top 3 for clearances and CP’s.

1 Like

Zaharakis is a our full time winger.

Except for all those times he was in the guts

My post is the 7th in a row that isn’t by @Killer_Mike. This thread is off the rails!!

6 Likes

There is definitely still such a thing as a pure inside or outside mid. But there’s are more hybrids now days.

Hybrids eh? Part man part gazelle? Part man, part landcruiser? Or do you mean a good old fashioned multiple position player? Fark me … hybrid …

1 Like

Francis is a hybrid footballer, tripod and demigod… I will not have you selling him short

2 Likes

Old man yells at cloud.

6 Likes

Young man reinvents wheel.

1 Like