#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

He had 21 touches. 10 of them were in the front half of the ground. Not a single one was gained with him leading up at the ball inside 50. He had 3 marks hitting up to the wing/back flank . I can’t recall him being a target inside 50 once. He was in the centre a stack of times. He won loose balls and laid tackles in defence. He was routinely positioned behind a contest to receive a handball backwards. He won the most clearances for us on the ground. He also spent 32 minutes on the bench.

He predominantly played midfield and drifted forward at times.

Regardless, he was very good last night, composed, clean, strong, polished. The only thing he wasn’t was prolific. Oh, he wasn’t caught with the pill

15 Likes

As explained above Langford kicked a goal from parish picking the ball up on 50 and hand balling to langers who was running past from the middle. He kicked it from about 40.

Is he playing as a forward or a midfielder on that occasion?

For laughs I will put this in here.

AFL is almost a positionalist game for small and mid size players.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for somebody to tell me he’s a defender.

3 Likes

It is a stupid stat
It’s a bucket collection of 3 or 4 vaguely unrelated things

Get a crap free kick? Contested.
Pick up a loose ball? Contested.
Get a tap straight down your throat with noone near you? Contested.

We’d be better off if we just looked at clearances, hardball gets separately.

1 Like

One of the best games I have seen from him. Watching from level 3 you can see how much composure he has.

Just need the coaches to stick with him now, build some chemistry and confidence.

3 Likes

I was at the game KM and saw Langford a lot more in the forward line than on the ball.

regardless it doesn’t even matter, Im just very very happy that he is starting to prove a lot of us wrong and play some great footy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I feel like amassing 21 touches while spending over a quarter of the game on the bench is prolific!

great game from the kid

Well Nathan Brown on MMM before the game said he’s been playing a bit everywhere lately even at Fullback. He clearly has nfi who Kyle is

2 Likes

By the look your heat map @Killer_Mike it’s pretty obvious he is a defender

5 Likes

He’s a half back flanker.

5 Likes

For a guy his size who moves around the ground as much as he does, playing different roles, he’s incredibly spatially aware of his opponents. Reckon Blitz has been too harsh on the handful of times he’s been caught with it.

2 Likes

Left right out back.

I think we are arguing over something ridiculous

It doesn’t matter where he is playing the greater majority of the game
He IS being used as a midfielder AND a forward.

I would be very surprised if he ever is permanent one or the other, simply because he looks as if he will be very dangerous playing in both possies. Which is great.
Some games he might play a full game in the middle and get 25 touches, others more so at forward and kick 3 snags.
I don’t think anyone can complain about that.
Our list is too mid heavy at the moment for anyone other than Shiel, Zerrett and Hep to be playing more than 80% of the game in the middle.

Who knows in the future though.

1 Like

He’s the 2019 version of the swingman… that can swap between defender, inside mid, outside mid and fwd… reckon I saw him at a ruck contest or two as well…

Alright, enough of my manlove

2 Likes

Respectfully, don’t agree. Reckon Richmond, Dogs Woods have been paving the way for a while… a team of ruck rovers that can compete in ground ball contests all over the ground, all game… that’s one of the ingredients of a finals-winning side

1 Like

Yes he took a few ruck contests at the end of either the 3rd or 4th quarter - right in the goalsquare.

1 Like

Dodoro loves his half back flankers and now he’s got another

O‿o

13 Likes

Nathan Brown is flog.

He also said that Laverde has recently been playing as forward.

It’s amazing the commentators make so many bad calls considering how much footy they watch.