#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Yeah, not sure what that comment was about.

I think he’s trying to say that Woosha isn’t giving him direct feedback.

Not sure how Shaw would know that but if true that’s ordinary.

Much maligned

I personally would think you would have to dig to deep. Evrryone does knows someone. Whst a refreshing article and Langers is not the only one to get done over, but ■■■■ he talented and works hard- they need to play him even if he has a ■■■■ game ’ so what. Laverde Clarke and Langers unreal interesting and investment in a new culture and then Francis. Its a coaching boys club

I’m all for playing Langers.

Just not in the enforcer role they continue to play him in.

If we persisted with him in midfield next year he will average 25 and 1.

If he was given opportunity to play how he wants to play at any other club I reckon he would be a star.

He has extremely high hurt factor with his possessions. Funnily enough exactly what we need.

Yes im a fan of him redman and Laverde. All grest sizes all different. I really believe to simply plsy them wear some pain and reap the rewards. 2016 they played and quite well. Lav is out of contract i think , Langford is as well - and Essendon would not pick up a Sloan or anything like- based on Sunday. The club is tarnishing its own brand as there are no distractions or excuses. I think Langford was dropped after reasonable mid year games plsyed well VFL yet was behind Howlett Bird Hocking etc which were always going to go. Again he Lav Clarke Francis Redman WOW- That is really good young talent

We have a very young midfield group and unfortunately not all are getting the required experience in the position they need to be fast tracked.

Clarke for example played a mix of flank and midfield last year because we had Bird and Howlett playing in the VFL.

Parish was also played off a flank last year because of the returning players. We are a conservative club unfortunately and in my opinion aren’t giving some of these guys enough opportunities.

Langford for example is a class above at VFL level. There is nothing he can learn there.

Lav is another that gains nothing from playing VFL but in my opinion even less playing third tall at AFL level. Just play him on a wing or something at AFL level.

Throw them in the deep end for a ten week block and see if they have what it takes.

At the end of the day we may find some aren’t up to it but we may also find a star.

2 Likes

With the way we are treating him I’d be surprised he’s still in our colours next year. I reckon he’s a fair chance to head for a club that will actually play him.

6 Likes

To play in their seconds? No worries!

Yep, and he will tear us apart.

2 Likes

At least they’re getting some good chemistry with Draper in the ruck.

1 Like

Did Draper get a full preseason?

Maybe they are just easing him into it.

I hope so anyway or it’s going to be a long season.

Why do people think that development can only occur in the AFL?

1 Like

There’s guys in the VFL that, if we bit the bullet and said.17 & 18 are development years, would blossom from extended senior game time. Play the effing kids… work out who can play and who can’t and let em get a run at it… it shouldn’t be that hard.

1 Like

I read it more as the conversations would be getting more difficult because the coaches would be having trouble coming up with valid reasons for why they are dropping him again

1 Like

Lack of intensity in Freo makes it pretty easy to explain why you get the flick this week.

They don’t

Yeah well you see Kyle you had a good game then a bad game. But leadership Dave over there hasn’t had a good game since before you were drafted and he’s fit so it’s his turn.

Kylelangford.png

10 Likes

Langford has done his time in the VFL developing. If he’s going to progress they need to play him in the AFL. Needs half a dozen games or so in a row to see if he can make the step up. His performance in Round 1 was a good start for him to build on, he was down in Round 2, but hardly alone in that. Very counter-productive to drop him as far as I’m concerned.

If he gets his half a dozen or so games and isn’t impacting, then we and him can move on. As it is, we have no idea if he’ll make it as an AFL midfielder because he’s only been played there twice.

1 Like

Why cant he get a game ? Cal Twomey puts in his 2 cents worth.

Kyle Langford

Essendon doesn’t have too many players who fit into the ‘Why can’t he get a game?’ category, particularly after fielding close to its best team last week, aside from a couple of injuries. But Langford fits into the ‘Why can’t he keep getting a game?’ group comfortably. He played well in round one against Adelaide, perhaps the best game of his career with 23 disposals, but was one of many to be quiet the next week against Freo and was then dropped. It’s not the first time Langford has been cut after a bad overall team loss. Langford is a big body who needs consistent time in the midfield. He can look like he lacks urgency at times, and this hurts his play, but if he can become more proactive at the stoppages and use his smarts, nice kicking and overhead marking, then he could carve out a good career with the Bombers despite managing just 33 games in three-and-a-bit seasons. - Callum Twomey

This guy is Houli mark 2. Has the same problem Houli had.