#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

The issues that I have with langford re attack on the ball and ability to find it/ remain consistent through a game still remain, but its getting harder and harder to suggest that he doesnt have the technical skillset to make it as a midfielder.

1 Like

Parish output is similar to last year
Langford has improved remarkedly.

2016 Langford showed a bit, best disposals 20 & 21
2017 he played mostly VFL and best disposals 19
2018 disposal of 23 (Adelaide), 20 (richmond), 24 (eagles)

Parish had good games this year against the Pies and the Dees.
then fell away next couple and was dropped. But he probably needed a rest due to our short breaks over anzac day… then he got injured

Probably equal output if you compare both players this year, but Langford has improved and Parish has stagnated. And Langford has opportunity to improve further with consistency in the seniors.

Loved the boys getting around him when he kicked the goal near the end of the game

5 Likes

One is using the ball a lot better in terms of hitting targets and being aggressive with the ball to setup a positive attack

2 Likes

He was 190 and 76 in his draft year.

1 Like

yeah, 14 kg in a 3 year period is significant.

Gleeson must be scratching his head and wondering how.

1 Like

Genetics (And hard work obviously)

1 Like

Is 21.

Club rankings

Is ranked 4th for tackles per game
4th for clearances
7th for contested possessions.

So not just a good game…

1 Like

Some people cannot see beyond numbers.
Sometimes, particularly with young ones, it’s not how often something happens, but how it happens.
If someone cannot see things like bravery in the choices made, ability to see multiple options in short periods of time, etc etc, it’s not really worth discussing things. They just can’t see what’s happening. And probably never will.

Clone Hirdy appears to be one of those.

6 Likes

What Kyle brings to the table that sets him apart is his ability to make good decisions and execute.

He is 4th for average score launches at the club and that’s off less time on ground and playing forward as much as midfield.

When he touches the ball something good generally comes from it.

He is only going to get better.

5 Likes

People who judge players purely on stats are complete morons.

8 Likes

Yep. If we did Guelfi would have been dropped 5 weeks ago…but we know he has been very important with the role he is playing.

1 Like

Langford is building confidence as are his teammates building confidence and trust in him. He’s picking up an extra handful of touches coming out of the back half where previously he would have been avoided yet being in the right spot.
Over the next few years he’ll gradually improve his stoppage impact and increase leading efforts between the arcs with more game time and improved fitness. Stoppage work, marking between the arcs and fitness as his strengths would have so much influence on how good we could be. If it gets to the point where opposition are weighing up whether to tag him you’d argue we’re a top 4 team.
Smith, Stringer and Langford have filled the midfield void that ensures we don’t have to pay overs for another elite mid.
As for the odd Parish comparison, I don’t believe we have a more explosive mid than Parish. Absolutely flys out of stoppages. He’s still young, favoured at selection and will be closing in on elite in a few years time as will Langford.

4 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t see anyone using only stats to support the fact Langford is making a valuable contribution and building momentum.

In fact for a long time some good judges on here have been highlighting the immeasurables like class, time, decision making etc to highlight the qualities many on here couldn’t / wouldn’t see.

So stats or no stats. THE Langford is arriving and the haters can stop barracking for Langford to not make it.

5 Likes

I think the most appropriate comparison is Bontempelli.

I agree he doesn’t have that manic craziness of Fyfe.

There are some similarities to how Langford plays and Bont plays. Good in the air, good in tight. Langford is a better kick. Bont probably has a little bit more X factor.

FWIW I probably overrate Langford atm, but I also don’t rate Bont has highly has the footy community does too…

1 Like

Plenty, apparently.

Why aren’t we playing Leuney more!!!

1 Like

I’ve been on the Langford train from day one.

But hotdamn Bontempelli is next to Rioli as the most damaging player in the comp with ball in hand forward of centre.

Lol,

He’s the mid we always needed

What do ya mean?