#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

I really liked his first quarter. He was getting the ball a lot between defensive 50 line and centre. He used it really well from those possessions. Maybe that’s hepps role normally, but I’ve never really seen Langford there. Faded after that though.

2 Likes

I think it has been noticeable since the Eagles game that he had been running harder defensively. His gut running is probably the last piece of the puzzle for him.

4 Likes

What rubbish - 2nd worst?

Try Redman, Zaharakis, Guelfi and McKernan. Genuinely noticeable a few players were not at the races at all today. Kyle positively impacted the game however. Wasn’t his best game but he was ok.

11 Likes

Tad harsh for mine

His game was just…meh. It was nothing. It wasn’t good it wasn’t bad it was just…a game of football he played.

I like him though. I really hope we persist. I know we won’t but I hope we do.

We won the game. Let’s celebrate.

Saying that, ‘stating’ that Redman, Zaka, Smack & Guelfi were worse than Langers today is beyond ridiculous. It is insane and axe to grind stuff for those players.

There are certain types of players you can carry over when they have bad weeks because you know they are game changers. E.g. Walla, Fanta and even Lav or Parish, but Langford is not one of them.

Ok We will stop talking about the 2nd worse player because you said so… who started that again? …hmmm…

wtf’s a squad best?

@chris_64???

Best game for the club.

Thought he was really good when we had our best period of the game in the third quarter.

Only had 13 disposals and wasn’t playing a shut down role. That’s pretty low for a midfield role that isn’t playing as a tagger. That said, he wasn’t second worst by any stretch (hello Smack), his game was okay and had impact at times.

1 Like

Still young and has shown some promise within his limitations.

Would be an instant omission for Heppell, though.

He is a great ball user, has fwd line smarts, and damages teams with a low amount of possessions.
But still he will rightfully have to make way for Hepp.
His still on the fringe, still doesn’t crack in hard enough for a big inside mid.
He is a highly skillful HFF, and not a mid…yet.

If you could combine D Clarke and himself you would have a brownlow winner.

5 Likes

Will always be on the outs with Woosha. Kid shows too much emotion.

5 Likes

said nobody ever :laughing:

Langford shouldn’t be dropped

2 Likes

I’m sure it’s been mentioned (and probably pilloried and perhaps rightly so) but there was a guy called Jobe Watson who copped a lot of similar criticism for a while. I’m not saying they’re the same type of player or anything like that but I reckon Langford needs the opportunities. He’s showing bits and pieces. He can put more together over time.

1 Like

Jobe liked Langford enough for him to take #4, and Hird sees enough to mentor him. It’s going to be hard for me to acknowledge that these two have hitched their wagon to a dud.

3 Likes

I disagree. Langford is a slow burner.

Has fantastic skills. If he doesnt blossom at Essendon he is the sort of guy who will find his feet elsewhere…

2 Likes

I hope your right. But Jobe was always better inside and around the contest, disposal by foot and fitness are what lacked (early on).

I think Langford is a bit the opposite he is fit enough, kicking that Jobe could only dream of, but is not even close in and around the contest.

If he could become more Jobe like around the contest, combined with his other skills he could be the best player in the comp. But its a big big IF

I think he just doesn’t read the ball on around packs quick enough, and that is the type of thing that is very hard to teach. I don’t think its much to do with intensity or speed, but its the type of thing you either have or don’t.

He is very dangerous as a receiver in space where he can use his skills, he also has good fwd craft and he knows where and when to run. In the 3rd quarter he displayed this. He was involved in about 3 goals from memory.

4 Likes