#4 Kyle Langford — not our worst in possibly our worst

Is hitting the scoreboard regularly and one of the few guys I’m confident of when he has it inside 50. Pretty good to have in low scoring affairs.

Needs to find it a bit more.

8 Likes

Yeah, totally agree. Even a bit of improvement inside would be a big bonus for him and us. In saying all that, I think we have a good enough midfield group now.

1 Like

Winderlich, Jobe, Wellman… a couple of whipping boys who eventually came good…
Lang has it in him.

With Heppell a good chance to be back a medium mid/utility most likely has to give away. When I consider that we have an aggressive Redman and Gleeson down back as well as McGrath and Heppell’s defensive ability I can’t seen Langford being dropped before Guelfi. He’s skill and forward ability is just too important to leave out in relation to the rest of the team. Players throughout the league get selected purely on a specific trait whether that be height, fitness, pressure, positional etc. At the very least Langford is required for his disposal, we’re somewhat dependant on continuing with someone with a relative superior skill set than most of the team.

13 possession 1 tackle game and people are singing his praises. Oh but those 13 possessions were all quality…please. I hope he does stay and has a good game, but people have to stop making excuses for him. He needs to be held accountable for inconsistent performances

Poor game, but he did take a contested grab, kicked a goal, set up two others. It’s not the weight of stats but the mix of things he can do that makes him useful… he can clock up tackles, clearances, contested marks, score involvements and goals. He’s also efficient with his possies - doesn’t miss too many field kicks or shots at goal.

if it clicks for him (big if) then he’s a very useful player to have in the team. He and Franga might have the biggest upside of any in the squad… that will probably be disputed by plenty here. But it’s why they’re both getting opportunities when their stats would suggest they shouldn’t.

It’s funny - I don’t think Frang has had a better year than Lang, but one gets a heap of love here, and the other, plenty of criticism… mainly, I’d argue, because of body language and nothing more substantial than that. They’ve both had an up and down year of missed opportunities to cement themselves in the team.

4 Likes

Neither have been very good. They were both a hell of a lot better in the back end of last year. It’s getting harder to get a game on our list. They need to consistently perform at a higher level. we all know how good they can play. I rate Franga above Langford though. He seems to do smart things at critical moments.

Both are good players doing their roles ok. Langford is a very hard player to match up, particularly in the forward half for opposition teams. He is pretty tall, mobile, intelligent, good overhead and deadly by foot.

Last week he continually took his man into the forward half, not to get a kick for himself, but to minimise the running impact of his opponent…he was doing his role as instructed, which was not necessarily getting a stat.

5 Likes

I’m not sure he is a smart footballer.

1 Like

The riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

1 Like

It’s been been said before but how incredibly frustrating was that free against vs West Coast where he held his man under the ball perfectly, stepped back, easy mark and strolled in to goal. Umpire said push in the back “you have to contest the mark.” Wtf? That is the quintessential small forward goal, would happen a dozen times every round. Bizarre.

6 Likes

Struggling to compete in the air in the first half after replacing Lav as the third tall. Goes to show how hard Lav was working in previous weeks playing on bigger opponents and always causing a contest.

Big half, come on Lang.

He’s just keeping Lavs spot warm at this moment. Needs to pull his finger out and step up. In his 5th season, it’s now or never

1 Like

Kinda comical watching him at times

1 Like

He gets to the right positions, he pressures well when there, but then he just does some very strange things. I understood why he didn’t take the second kick on goal, he so badly screwed up the first one he didn’t have confidence next time around.

He’s a player who looks like he wants to do something but then doesn’t have the courage to really do it at times.

2 Likes

Does some good things

Does some poor things

The type of player a coach will either love or hate with little in between.

You’d have to think LAV is a straight swap for him next week. I like Langford but he had a poor game tonight, and that shot on goal was comically bad.

1 Like

stinker tonight.

Good kick, good mark, good set shot. Technically a good footy player.

But doesn’t get it nearly enough and ■■■■■ himself too often.

Very frustrating.

2 Likes

Not best 22. Still young though and reasonably durable so hope he stays as depth.